Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5.4 V8 is just reaching 100,000. Can the spark plug change be ignored until they have an issue. I just bought the van and it has other immediate items that need replacement. The vans motor runs well right now. What other items does the manual recommend for replacement ? Hoses,belts water pump, timing chain ? Shocks look original without leaks.tires are worn output no unusual wear patterns. Any thoughts from experienced owners appreicated

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Since you just got the van everything is an unknown. Start with fluids and plugs and whatever else that obviously needs to be replaced. Timing chains generally last a couple hundred thousand miles but can fail anytime really. Does it make any noise on startup or idling?

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
Ford Econoline

Service Details

Service due at 100,000 Miles
Action:Description
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeRotate Tires
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeReplace engine oil and filter
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect windshield wiper and washer systems and fluids levels
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect suspension components
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect steering linkage
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect power steering fluid level
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect half shaft dust boots
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect exhaust system
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect engine accessory drive belt
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect coolant recovery reservoir
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect clutch operation
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect brake fluid level
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect automatic/manual transmission fluid
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeInspect air cleaner/element
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeCheck turn signals and hazard warning lights
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeCheck shocks and struts
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeCheck radiator, coolers, heater, and A/C hoses
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeCheck battery, exterior lamps, and horn operation
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeReplace spark plugs
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeReplace PCV valve
Inspect/Adjust/ChangeReplace coolant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To date I've have run though much of the mechanicals and found only typical wear issues. Thank you for all the replies. Videos on spark plugs were very helpful and the 100k list too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am wondering about the fuel pump and how long it will last. I have the floor bare and this would be an easy replacement if I cut the floor and accessed the tank top .

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
It's hard to tell how long a fuel pump will last you. If you replace it, the new one may die out before the old one would have. For me? Since cutting a hole in the floor may leave a weak spot (depending how you cover it) and I definitely would be using it for hauling, I'd check the straps and fasteners holding the tank in place while you're going through it. While it's not a walking in the park, dropping the tank on a truck or van isn't as much of a pain as it is for the newer cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts