Ford Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,585 Posts
xr8_sprint said:
I've been assured by the owner that it's a 302 and not a 347, aftermarket victor heads/manifold, big hydraulic roller cam, C4 auto with histall... ran 12.1 on the weekend just gone.. tuned by tweecer
Theres a section in the waford/tickford club about her sprint have a read..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think its running 11.8s now. Surely thats gotta be some kind of record for an NA, standard stroke 302 in a full bodied Falcon??

At the WA all Ford Day today I saw the car. Its running gear is for sale! - whole drivetrain inc engine, C4, tailshaft and exhaust - asking $15k.

List of mods is long.

·
methanol injected clevo
1,185 Posts
xr6turbeau said:
I think its running 11.8s now. Surely thats gotta be some kind of record for an NA, standard stroke 302 in a full bodied Falcon??

At the WA all Ford Day today I saw the car. Its running gear is for sale! - whole drivetrain inc engine, C4, tailshaft and exhaust - asking $15k.

List of mods is long.
really? i was looking at the car today too and didnt see it for sale, wow

did you see his xy next to it? 514 cube BB ex demaj motor... very nice

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
AU2XLSV8 said:
Hows the weather down there Ghia5L? :)
Good mate!

Nice n sunny, low 20s, the girls at uni are beginning to wear less clothes again... and I'm needing to fix my driver's window soon (switchboard needs replacing, just won a replacement off ebay too, w00t!)

Went for a ride up Mirboo North Road the other day, I can take some of the corners quicker on my pushie than in the EB :p 60kph around hairpins is mad!!!

Cheers,

-Dave-

·
Registered
26 Posts
xr8_sprint said:
really? i was looking at the car today too and didnt see it for sale, wow

did you see his xy next to it? 514 cube BB ex demaj motor... very nice

Yeah - the for sale sign was an A4 bit of paper stuck under the bonnet with a list of mods. Yes that XY looked serious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi to all the E-Series fans out there,

This is my first post, so please forgive me for any typos.

The ED Sprint that has been mentioned is my wife Natalie's car, she normally drives it to work everyday, but due to her office relocation (read as lack of parking) I have been lucky enough to enjoy driving it the last couple of weeks.

We are restoring the car back to original, and that is part of the reason that the drive train is for sale. The other reason is because we have had so much negative publicity about the car, I’m not sure why, but it has really started to bug me; we built it for the Ford fans, but some of them have been our biggest knockers particularly when it comes to accepting the fact that it is a standard stroke hydraulic cammed engine that runs on pump gas. I have been told it’s 347, even 363, that it’s got a solid roller, that we turn it to 8000 rpm, that the car has been lightened etc, etc……

I built the car so that all the Ford fans could have a direction to follow that was simple, and easy to duplicate. I have done a heap of R&D on the Holden 5.0L, I worked for Eddy Tassone (and we are still good friends) for a while, and learnt a lot from what he was doing, and latter helped Frank and Steve from the 308 Performance centre get their VK to run as quick as 10.79 as a standard stroke 5.0L.

Basically I had two main reasons for building the car.

1. I was sick and tired of watching Holden 5.0L running quick.
2. I was sick and tired of watching people get ripped off by so called experts, and then running 13's after spending $30,000 plus.

I have always been than happy to list every part on the car, to anyone that has ever asked. I will list it here for all to see, I have never tried to hide anything that we have done on the car.

I'll start at the top:
K&N 4" Pod style air cleaner
Vortech 73mm M.A.F Meter (I would use an 80mm Pro M if I did it again)
Edelbrock 75mm Throttle body (I would maybe go larger, maybe)
Accel 32lb Injectors
MSD 6AL with MSD loom (straight bolt in no cutting of wires necessary)
TWeecER Controller (straight bolt in no cutting of wires necessary)
Edelbrock Victor EFI Intake
Edelbrock Victor JNR heads
5.0L block
Cat Girdle
Cat Connecting Rods
Std 5.0L (51 oz offset balance which is standard) crankshaft
KB 116 0.030" 10.5:1 Pistons
Romac 5.0L balancer (steel)
Custom 302 Windsor (157 Tooth Custom because we had to make it for the 51oz balance, standard 302 Windsor is 28oz balance) Flex Plate
Crane (standard Ford style) Hydraulic Roller lifters modified internally
Crane Hydraulic Roller Cam Part No HR-244/372-2S-10 (We tried 4 different cams the next best was the HR-232/352-2S-12 which is probably better but I now know what it really needs)
Crow 0.080" Push Rods
Crane Rockers (we tried 1.5, 1.6, 1.65 even 1.7. the car runs 1.5's now)
Di Fillipo 1 7/8" 4 into 1 extractors
Custom twin 3" into 4" exhaust with balance chamber (1/2 volume of engine)
High Energy Sump
Under drive kit
Motorsport Rocker Covers
Custom Made Vac-U Pan
Left Hand starter conversion
High torque starter (modified to fit on left side of engine)
Windsor C4 full manual reverse pattern valve body
8" 4700 rpm converter
Custom Cross member/tailshaft hoop (there was no way I was drilling a single hole in a genuine Sprint)
Custom Tail shaft (not really necessary, we ran the original alli one for a full season)
B&M Pro Ratchet shifter custom mounted (once again not a sigle hole drilled)
Bosch BMW M series fuel pump (I would use a Walbro if I did it again)
Borgwarner LSD 3.9 ratio differential (it definitely needs 4.11’s to work properly)

The heads, intake, pistons, basically every component was taken out of the box and fitted as is. Only the lifters, and valve springs (which are not conical as some people have suggested, they are just some Isky's with a different Isky inner) have been touched (by The Kostecki Engine Centre), we found we needed an unusual spring combination to stop the lifters bleeding down. You could do exactly what I have listed and run the same numbers without a doubt in my mind.

The car weighs 3770lb with my wife ready to race (she is only little) and we have to run with at least 3/4 of a tank of fuel (Ultimate 98), if we don't it nearly stalls after the launch from fuel slosh pulling the fuel away from the pump.

As far as what else is modified on the car:
Front sway bar has been removed
Mickey Thompson Drag Radials 255/50/R16 tyres on stock Sprint rims
That’s it, no 90/10's, no 50/50's, standard 225 front tyres you name it the rest of the car is stock standard, air con, power steer, standard. The car still has the convoluted tube from the MAF to the Throttle body!

I am going to be perfectly honest here and say that the best we have gotten as listed above is a 12.59 @ 107, but the ambient air temperature has a huge affect on the performance of this car, it will vary from 12.9 to 12.5 depending on how hot, and how much humidity is present. The gears get pulled between 6200 and 6400 depending on the air. This combo has made 307Hp at the tyres with the auto and stall converter, it can go over 330Hp at the tyres with a manual, and if you changed a few things here and there you could probably push a bit more.

The car has run 11.88 @ 115 with this driveline at standard 5.0L size, but there is more to the story.

But to run 12's @ 3770lb that’s what we did. What everyone needs to learn about this is not weather it can be done or not, but the fact that all late model Falcons weigh over 3700lb while Commodores only weigh 3000lb race ready! That is no B.S, my apprentice has a VK with one of our 5.0L Holden Pump Gas (Ultimate 98) combo's and it has run [email protected] on only it's 5th pass, but all it weighs 3000lb race ready, and the combo sees 8500 rpm.

If we could get the Falcon down to 3000lb and swap the Hydraulic roller for a solid, and swing it to 8500rpm, I'm sure that the little blue oval, would be kicking the lions but, all over the track! The next issue is the ratios; you really need 4.11's to get into the 11's with 3.9’s it cruises at 100km/h at about 3500, with 4.11’s it would be a bit higher than I would call reasonable, remember this car can get 330km to the tank driving around the city if you are cautious with your right foot, not bad considering.

The intake system has room for improvement, and we could probably do more in the converter if we could guarantee traction, which we can’t so we give up a little here and a little there.

It would be a lot easier to go 347ci, but I wanted to prove a point, and I think I have. If anyone ever needs a hand to get their E-Series going let me know, I will be more than happy to give you a hand. I didn’t join the Forum so I could advertise the combo; I just wanted everyone to know how we did it.

Imagine if you re-did the intake (cold air setup) ported the heads (I would actually try to fit a 1.94” Intake Valve instead of the std 2.02”), solid roller, non MAF aftermarket ECU, up the comp to 11.8 (no problems with Ultimate 98) front runners, slicks 90/10’s 50/50’s 4.56 gears. If you didn’t run a 10 you would sack the driver!

All the best!

GONZO

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thats awesome mate. It's a shame some people will knock you but I bet they would never have a go. Great write up & times mate. :hy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Gonzo, mate thank you very much for posting the details of your car.These people dogging you are probably just jealious the car sound's absoloutly fantastic. I will tell my mate to get on here and have a look at what you have so generously written and he may try to contact you by sending you a pm, if thats ok.I to wanted to do this EB up to kick holden butt but never had the finances to do this and to be perfectly honest knew some of the basic stuff to change(e.g manifold,t.b &maf)but had know idea of what would work.This kind of information is what I originally wrote the post looking for, once again thank you very much for taking the time to answer the post forget about the wowsers and you maybe hearing from us soon. :hy: MICK

·
Registered
220 Posts
SPRINTED

Great write-up and very impressive times. Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

I am starting to build an engine for an EL XR8. You seem to have lots of experience so I was wondering if you could guide me to reach my target of 425HP at the flywheel with EFI. I already have an all forged 347 stroker kit, a new set of Victor Junior heads and a Tremec TKO. Could you give me some advise about the other parts I will need - cam, intake, injectors, MAF, TB etc? The key for me is that this is a daily driver so I don't want to build a tempremantal dog, just something that will surprise the local Holdens.

Thanks
Tris

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gonzo, for a first post you absolutely topped it - well done!!! thanks for sharing what you've done and good to see another E series keepin 'em honest.

·
methanol injected clevo
1,185 Posts
as said previously SPRINT_ED about the car being 302, congrats on the quick time as i have no question of the times shown by your sprint.

An ED Sprint engine is essentially a '93 mustang cobra enginem making near 300rwhp on a DD in the US. With an unopened engine my sprint 14.1 with 135,000km on the motor 5.0

Congrats on the times you achieved and i hope to see the XY alive soon.

If you want to sell the tweecer let me know ;)

Cheers

Shane

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah Thanks for that Gonzo, read it last week, but didn't have the chance to post....busy busy. I'm sure thats been helpful if not a pedastal to achieve for some.
Frank

41 - 53 of 53 Posts