Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
16" tyres

G'day all. I have just stumbled across the site and thought I'll be in that.

I am at the moment looking to fit a set of 16" rims to my EF XR6 (cause 15's are a little ordinary these days) and was wondering what those owners with 16s thought about some of the rubber options that are around (225/50/16) suitable for general street use?

There are some cheaper brands, then there are the mega dollar stuff and the 'preferred dealer suppliers'. Any recommendations?

PS: where is the Canberra end meet of the Summernats run on the Saturday?

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

My personal opinion would be to stay away from Dunlop A4's. I had them on my car for nearly 2 years, and I NEVER EVER could get any traction in the wet.

Before that I had a set of Pirelli's. They where really good, but they only lasted 3 months.

I currently have a set of Bridgestone SO2's. They handle really well, and are awesome in the wet. (plus the tread pattern looks really cool)

:)
Kelli S

P.S - I have a heard a few nighmare stories about Falken's but have never actually owned a set.

P.P.S. If you are gonna go bigger, why stop at 16" ?? You can get a really nice set of 17" rims + tyres for under $1700.

·
Ford Freak!
75 Posts
Gday,

Have Falkens on all my cars. The ZE326 are the best, got a set of 235/45ZR17s for my AU XR6 HP and I reckon they are better in both the dry and wet than the Dunlop SP9000s that came with the car from the factory. Price? Dunlops about $500 a tyre, Falkens $186 a tyre (on special). Generally the Falkens are about $220 a tyre for this size. They are available in 16s so I would recommend them. I also have a set of Falkens on my TF Cortina with 16" wheels. Run 205s on the front and 225s on the rear. The tyres are very good, but the ZE326s are the better ones. The TF is set up to fang it around corners, ie stiff race suspension, and the tyres just don't want to let go.

I reckon Falkens are the best value for money buy on the market, and take it from me, I really give it to my cars.

Regards,

Nicko

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi there,
I thought that i could share my lastest tyre buying experience with you.I spent weeks doing homework and finally chose on TOYO (Yes Toyo PROXES T1-S)Ultra high preformance tyres.225/50ZR16 Speed rating 92W Revs/Klm 520.
They are the exactly the same tread pattern as the Bridges SO2's,made of same silica compound and I got mine for nearly half the price of the SO2's.I have driven a mates VT Clubby R8 many times(even hooking around Mt Panarama)and these TOYO's on my XR6 handle just as fantastic.They have excellent grip on dry and wet roads ,but i'am not sure on the wear rate as yet because I've only had them on 4 weeks and done about 2000 klms.
Hope that I shed some light!
Ad

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
I Have a set of Firestone Firehawks 225/50 16 on my EL XR8 and i can't fault them. Great in both wet and dry. They also have a really cool looking tread!!
So far 35000k's and still going strong, even with frequent sideways action!!
Cost about $200 each

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all

My mate in Cessnock has got some Wanli/s-1091
tyres on his white EF XR8 he gives his car curry all the time and they look like new still. They are a V rated directional tyre at
$140.50 each ,in Sydney you can get them at
Canterbury Tyre And Mag Supamart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts