Ford Forums banner

180rwkw from N/A barra 4.0, easy done!!

75K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Evilxd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
DEV-BA Scavenger" Headers (Extractors), Hi-Performance 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, Hi-Flow 2.5" Catalytic converter with header pipe, DEV performance spark plugs, Hi-Volume intake Air-Flow conversion kit, UniChip Interceptor Computer.DEV-BA Scavenger" Headers (Extractors), Hi-Performance 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, Hi-Flow 2.5" Catalytic converter with header pipe, DEV performance spark plugs, Hi-Volume intake Air-Flow conversion kit, UniChip Interceptor Computer.

$3400 seems a lot pay for an exhaust system, cold air induction, spark plugs and a chip. What sort of fuel economy does the thing get?

Oh I just read thats with an aftermarket computer as well!!!

#3 ·
that's not bad for just intake, extractors, exhaust + chip!

#4 ·
xcgxl said:
DEV-BA Scavenger" Headers (Extractors), Hi-Performance 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, Hi-Flow 2.5" Catalytic converter with header pipe, DEV performance spark plugs, Hi-Volume intake Air-Flow conversion kit, UniChip Interceptor Computer.

$3400 seems a lot pay for an exhaust system, cold air induction, spark plugs and a chip. What sort of fuel economy does the thing get?
The UniChip Computer, Fitted and Dyno Tuned = $1,400 and zorst for about $1200, rest is bit over priced, these two things would do most of the gain, + good free flowing filter. I think the 2.5in zorst is misprint, would be 3in + 3in cat. like in DEVA2 of the second link.

#5 ·
xcgxl said:
DEV-BA Scavenger" Headers (Extractors), Hi-Performance 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, Hi-Flow 2.5" Catalytic converter with header pipe, DEV performance spark plugs, Hi-Volume intake Air-Flow conversion kit, UniChip Interceptor Computer.DEV-BA Scavenger" Headers (Extractors), Hi-Performance 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, Hi-Flow 2.5" Catalytic converter with header pipe, DEV performance spark plugs, Hi-Volume intake Air-Flow conversion kit, UniChip Interceptor Computer.

The exhaust setup im looking at is going to set me back arond $4,ooo for my MKII.

#6 ·
I have the JMM DEV3 BA kit. I got it last week. I already had the Unichip, so I only had to pay for DEV2 (which is DEV3 minus the chip).

Cost around $2100 fitted. 182rwkw on their dyno. 158rwkw on the dyno I usually go to here in Adelaide.

You wont get 180rwkw out of DEV3BA kit.... not on a regular dyno dynamics dyno....

Having said that, it IS good! It sounds heaps better, goes heaps better and its using a fair bit less fuel. Jim and Brendan did a great job and are top blokes. If youre gonna do it, just forget about rwkw... IMO

#7 ·
xr6 ute said:
The UniChip Computer, Fitted and Dyno Tuned = $1,400 and zorst for about $1200, rest is bit over priced, these two things would do most of the gain, + good free flowing filter. I think the 2.5in zorst is misprint, would be 3in + 3in cat. like in DEVA2 of the second link.
No, its not a misprint. I got the 2.5 inch exhaust and cat. The 2.5 is the DEV2 and the 3.0 is DEV2A from memory....

#8 ·
Sorry but i don't see 180rwkw being really achievable with just those mods. As XRchic has shown what it's real power is. It is really deceptive making people actually think they have as much power as a turbo. Does anyone know if a stock turbo has been dyno'd at the mocks?

#9 ·
CSV_LS1 said:
Sorry but i don't see 180rwkw being really achievable with just those mods. As XRchic has shown what it's real power is. It is really deceptive making people actually think they have as much power as a turbo. Does anyone know if a stock turbo has been dyno'd at the mocks?
That Im not sure of. But they were talking about it so I suspect so. I have no figures though. Would be interesting to know.

#12 ·
Another JMM Dyno bagout thread!!!!!

Its all been said before.

Go to a dyno day and see what it gets in comparison to other cars on the same day same dyno. You will have a better idea then. Honestly I think the 158rwkw is a good honest figure. 182rwkw I doubt it.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Meh, dynos have only 1 use.

Put your car on a dyno, and get a readout. Make mods to your car and place it on the same dyno again (pref the same day). Get readout. Compare. If it is an improvement then that's great and the dyno has served its purpose.

Anything else (comparison of dyno vs dyno) really has little more than an "interest" factor.
If you want to really compare, go to the track and race.

#14 ·
it doesn't matter if its 180rwkw, 280rwkw or 380rwkw.

specify u want a before and after graph, done at same revs, same tyre pressures, and STRAPPED DOWN F*ING TIGHT.

Then overlay the two graph.

Oh, and you may want to check out the OFR opinion - they will advise the 1/4 mile as a test - they have some of the faster cars.

Do you want a good looking dyno sheet? or do you want a fast car?

#15 ·
EB 5.6 said:
it doesn't matter if its 180rwkw, 280rwkw or 380rwkw.

specify u want a before and after graph, done at same revs, same tyre pressures, and STRAPPED DOWN F*ING TIGHT.

Then overlay the two graph.

Oh, and you may want to check out the OFR opinion - they will advise the 1/4 mile as a test - they have some of the faster cars.

Do you want a good looking dyno sheet? or do you want a fast car?
Exactly.
I couldnt care less if my dyno numbers read 50rwkw lower than someone elses cause, on the track, if I'm faster than I'M FASTER!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
XRchic said:
I have the JMM DEV3 BA kit. I got it last week. I already had the Unichip, so I only had to pay for DEV2 (which is DEV3 minus the chip).

Cost around $2100 fitted. 182rwkw on their dyno. 158rwkw on the dyno I usually go to here in Adelaide.

You wont get 180rwkw out of DEV3BA kit.... not on a regular dyno dynamics dyno....

Having said that, it IS good! It sounds heaps better, goes heaps better and its using a fair bit less fuel. Jim and Brendan did a great job and are top blokes. If youre gonna do it, just forget about rwkw... IMO
Thats strange that the Deva2 kits uses 3in zorst with 172kw, then if you want more power with the Dev3 kits 180kw, you have to reduce zorst diameter to 2.5? wierd, generally bigger zorst = more power, to a certain degree.

XRchik, you said "goes heaps better and its using a fair bit less fuel" What milage were you getting before and after your mods? Not often you see power increase, petrol decrease. You sure? XRchic with your extractors and bigger pipes, does it sound good? Im thinking of getting a zorst to make it a bit louder and nicer sounding. Doesn't sound like another shit box, rattly, tiney vn commondore does it? Cheers

#18 ·
I have mods to my BA XR6 N/A Auto that are almost the same as XRChic. I am running a TSI Chip, Pacemakers, Hi-Flow Cat, K&N Filter, 2.5 inch exhaust. Rear wheel HP or KW will always be questionalbe, my last tune on the "Dyno Dynamics" came in at 242rwhp which is about 180.5rwkw.

I ran it down the strip at Willowbank a couple of months ago an came up with a 14.92@92.9mph. That is a damn fine effort for an BA XR6 N/A auto in my opinion. These things are seriously heavy cars, my car might have near the same rwkw as the XR6T....on the lower scale that is....but the Barra N/A will NEVER have the same torque curve as the "T".

#19 ·
CSV_LS1 said:
I agree with you mate, I don't see this fiqure beeing achievable.

#20 ·
XR6 N/A Modded said:
I have mods to my BA XR6 N/A Auto that are almost the same as XRChic. I am running a TSI Chip, Pacemakers, Hi-Flow Cat, K&N Filter, 2.5 inch exhaust. Rear wheel HP or KW will always be questionalbe, my last tune on the "Dyno Dynamics" came in at 242rwhp which is about 180.5rwkw.

I ran it down the strip at Willowbank a couple of months ago an came up with a 14.92@92.9mph. That is a damn fine effort for an BA XR6 N/A auto in my opinion. These things are seriously heavy cars, my car might have near the same rwkw as the XR6T....on the lower scale that is....but the Barra N/A will NEVER have the same torque curve as the "T".
I hate to bust your bubble but you dont have 180rwkw with that sort of time. I agree, the BA is a heavy car however it is not considerably more heavy than my VCT. I have around 140-144rwkw and have run a 15.024@93mph and feel the car is good for some sort of 14.9x run...and its an auto as well so no "manual" bonus points. I also so not have a chip in it. I would place a guess that you are running closer to 160rwkw with that time.

#21 ·
Casper said:
I hate to bust your bubble but you dont have 180rwkw with that sort of time. I agree, the BA is a heavy car however it is not considerably more heavy than my VCT. I have around 140-144rwkw and have run a 15.024@93mph and feel the car is good for some sort of 14.9x run...and its an auto as well so no "manual" bonus points. I also so not have a chip in it. I would place a guess that you are running closer to 160rwkw with that time.
Just a matter of interest, what does your car with you in it weigh??? Are you running stock diff ratio in your VCT??

Cheers

#22 ·
Casper said:
Whats not to say that he hasn't got 180rwkw, who said he can drive. No bagging the owner but maybe it wasnt the best the car can do.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
XRQTOR said:
Whats not to say that he hasn't got 180rwkw, who said he can drive. No bagging the owner but maybe it wasnt the best the car can do.
Correct however I would have to say unlikely. I would say that it would be a good "estimate" of the cars ability. Another 20odd rwkw and you couldnt help but go a fair bit quicker. Unless the gear change or launch is muffed every time that is and I would doubt that. I'm betting he knows how to drive his own car and probably did a good job of it. Fact is that getting it into the 14's is no easy feat, its an impressive time for any NA I6.

XR6 N/A Modded said:
Just a matter of interest, what does your car with you in it weigh??? Are you running stock diff ratio in your VCT??
Cheers
The car is basically stock except for exhaust and intake. All the running gear from the head to the tail is 100% factory.

The weight of the car is a bit harder to guess however, based on known weights for the AU, my own weight and an estimation of the fuel/coolant etc it should be around the 1700kg mark give or take. At a guess I'd say that is around 100kg lighter than yours. Thats why I figured you had closer to 160rwkw cause it would certainly take that much to get it into the 14's.

I'm not trying to put you down, I'm actually very impress at your time. I just dont think it would be 180rwkw.

#24 ·
If i ever get my new car ill be taking it to the creek and i wont be at all dissapointed if i run 14.5 or higher but after quite a few passes and plenty of practice ill have the shits if i cant hit high 13's stock, i found that there not the easyest cars to get off the line in a hurry. HOw long has he had the car and how many times has he raced it they all play a majour part. Mate of mine owns a 10 sec VN ss but his best time is only a high 12.

#25 ·
XRQTOR said:
If i ever get my new car ill be taking it to the creek and i wont be at all dissapointed if i run 14.5 or higher but after quite a few passes and plenty of practice ill have the shits if i cant hit high 13's stock, i found that there not the easyest cars to get off the line in a hurry. HOw long has he had the car and how many times has he raced it they all play a majour part. Mate of mine owns a 10 sec VN ss but his best time is only a high 12.
Considering that mine is not so easy to launch and I've only had about 7 or 8 runs in it since I had the mods done I could also use the same argument that I could get quite a bit better. Maybe even get into the 14.8's as my first 60' is very slow, only 2.3's. So if thats the case, and I know I have around 140rwkw, that actually just reinforces my point more.
There is no way he is a second, or probably even .5 of a second off the cars potential. They are not that hard to drive. The tale is really in the 60 foot time. If he can remember it than that will really help detemine if its off the pace. If its a 2.6 or so then yes, the car has heaps more potential. If its a 2.3 or a 2.2 then the car is probably running what it should.
In the end its impossible to say. We dont really know the car and the conditions. All we can do is make subjective comparisons based on known std's. I am not putting him down at all. I think the time is excellent however I just cant see a 180rwkw BA doing 14.8's@92mph. It doesnt add up.

#26 ·
Casper said:
Considering that mine is not so easy to launch and I've only had about 7 or 8 runs in it since I had the mods done I could also use the same argument that I could get quite a bit better. Maybe even get into the 14.8's as my first 60' is very slow, only 2.3's. So if thats the case, and I know I have around 140rwkw, that actually just reinforces my point more.
There is no way he is a second, or probably even .5 of a second off the cars potential. They are not that hard to drive. The tale is really in the 60 foot time. If he can remember it than that will really help detemine if its off the pace. If its a 2.6 or so then yes, the car has heaps more potential. If its a 2.3 or a 2.2 then the car is probably running what it should.
In the end its impossible to say. We dont really know the car and the conditions. All we can do is make subjective comparisons based on known std's. I am not putting him down at all. I think the time is excellent however I just cant see a 180rwkw BA doing 14.8's@92mph. It doesnt add up.
half a second is bugger all. You could loose that time easily. It could have been a hot day, high or low humidity, wheel spin, shit tyres, bad fuel, gearbox slip(manual or auto), shit driver with bad reaction time, water or oil on track, etc etc. Rwkw's is not directly preportional to quarter mile times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.