Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got me thinking of the things we used to fix rather than replace with recon units nowadays also using wheel braces /spiders pre air guns .On servicing ,the parts we manually adjusted like brakes , valve clearances , points , carbs , timing etc etc , even the number of grease / lube points . Some cars had more nipples than a womens hockey team .Standard book time you got on 12,000 mls service 5hrs because of what it involved .Diagnosing faults with your brain before Sun or Crypton equipment became ready available . Different skills needed today with more sophisticated and efficient engines .At the time we may have had the odd moan but on reflection now , they were the good old days .

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
R.S., all of our new stuff requires a computer to run, but I teach the guys, pick up the computer last. The new technology only make telling of the symptoms quicker, but often times people end up changing parts rather than piecing the symptomes together and determining what they have in common. A good technician stil has to use his head, just the information is fed differently. I do have to admit, though, it is refreshing to get my hands on old school stuff where relays, interlocks, and pneumatics are king.

Nice analogy: "Some cars had more nipples than a womens hockey team ."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts