Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the control valve and now with wheels off the ground when I turn to the left it shakes a lot. to the point I have to shut off the car. It is also more difficult to move to the left and the pump makes a few noises and will squeak. Ford manual said to put transmission fluid in the power steering. I replaced the pump also. Does it still need transmission fluid or should I switch to power steering the new pump.
Everything was fine till I changed the control valve and put in transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced it because it was leaking. I tried to rebuild it but apparently, I am not very good at that, it leaked worse. I am not sure what you mean on deck. I did replace the fluid from transmission to power steering fluid. That helped but it would still shake but not as quick. The car is in the air. I move the wheel back and forth. I did it 50 times before I started the car to get air out. I let it run for a few min and then tried to turn it. Like I said it did better but would still shake at times and I would have to shut off the car. When turning the wheel, I do hear a sound like the blades are hitting metal and I hear winning noises. Fluid is full, I checked that.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds to me you just have to bleed the air out of the system. Just about the same on all vehicles. My dad used to use transmission fluid in the steering reservoir on vehicles he owned that were close in age as your Galaxie

Thanks for video. I moved my steering wheel lock to lock 50 times. Then started the car, let it warm up and then tried to turn it. Started shaking, had to turn off the car. Checked level. One thing I didn't do was have the filler cap off when I started to car. The cap is tight and maybe stopped the air from escaping. Not sure the cap is that tight.

· Registered
200 Posts
Are you sure the power steering belt is tight enough? If it's loose it'll make it sluggish or shaky. Make sure everything underneath is all greased and lubricated up AKA ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm. Everything with a grease fitting to make sure nothing is binding up or dry

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It worked fine till I replace the control valve. I have turned lock to lock over a hundred time to bleed the system. It still shakes turning to the left and is harder to turn to the left. I am at a loss as to what to do. The power steering pump is not very old and has had very little use. It also worked prior to replacing control valve. The control valve is a Lares.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts