Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove and parked car last fall for winter. Removed battery cables. Went to start this May and replaced cables and turned key to start, engine turned over, would not start. Turned key off and engine contuniued to turn over, had to remove positive cable to stop. Since then I have replaced, starter, starter solenoid, battery, pertronix coil and iginiter system, key switch and also have checked all wires for shorts with Ohmmeter? Still have no spark when I remove coil wire and turn engine over. Have never had a problem in the 30 years I have owned . Engine is basically stk 390 with crusomatic. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Logan, Have had some trouble getting back on this forum. Since my last message About the car starting, I have put the starter switch and light switch with the attached fuse box back in the dash mounts. I had disconnected the battery to avoid a potential short or spark while putting the switches back in the dash.
After replacing them And connecting the battery again, the engine turned over but would not start. Removed the alt cable and still didn't start, replaced the cable and still no start just turning over. Tried wiggling the wires under the dash thinking a loose wire but no joy.
Any new thoughts, I am at wits end.
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Try running a jumper wire from the battery to the coil, not the distributor side, and see if it will start. If it starts you'll need to pull that wire to stop the engine. Only do this long enough to see if it starts as you will be bypassing the resistor, if it still has one.

Am I right on this RS?

·
Super Moderator
18,967 Posts
Not the best on electrics , I always had auto sparks whose those jobs were left to . In Europe we were still + ground till about 1967 , usually behind the States . So worth double checking battery polarity . Had to rack the old brain , so long ago when last hot wired a older car and not sure of set up on that car . As jwko suggests , take a live feed directly from battery to coil which will give you ignition and then bridge the solenoid if fitted , or starter direct to crank engine .

P.s
If it has an alternator , almost certain it is got to be negative ground .

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
My idea was to bypass the ignition and hot wire directly to the coil. I'm sure the polarity is fine 12v negative ground.

I simplified my post above. was a bit confusing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jwko and Mr Logan, tried the hot wire and still no joy. Everything electric works when key is trurned to run, when turned to start position things stop working and engine turns over very nicely, but won't start.
Primary iginition circuit resistance test show 9-10volts when cranking and 12 volts when in run position. Primary iginition voltage when in run is 12v. Tested pink resistance wire for ohm's and got same as new wire.
Not an electrician but seriously thinking of changing my trouble light back to an old 100 watt incandescent and leaving in on overnight while resting on some paper towels on the floor. (Just joking)
Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Larry

·
Super Moderator
18,967 Posts
If battery condition low or a "lazy " starter dragging it down , it could be pulling the spark at plugs .Tried a jumper battery to give it a boost ? Don't suppose checking fuses would help ?

Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

12.66v . . . . . . . . . . 100%
12.45v . . . . . . . . . . 75%
12.24v . . . . . . . . . . 50%
12.06v . . . . . . . . . . 25%
11.89v . . . . . . . . . . 0%

I'm off forum now till tomorrow .

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
If you jumped a hot wire from the battery straight to the 12V input side of the coil, and it did not start, you've narrowed it down. Distributor, coil, cap, rotor, connections, pick-up coil. Somewhere right there. You can verify it by seeing if you have spark at a plug when cranking.

You've bypassed everything else by jumping straight to the coil.

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
" You can verify it by seeing if you have spark at a plug when cranking. " Asked in post #8 , no reply .
I see that now RS.

And this
Jwko and Mr Logan, tried the hot wire and still no joy. Everything electric works when key is trurned to run, when turned to start position things stop working and engine turns over very nicely, but won't start.
Primary iginition circuit resistance test show 9-10volts when cranking and 12 volts when in run position. Primary iginition voltage when in run is 12v. Tested pink resistance wire for ohm's and got same as new wire.
Everything seems fine up to the coil. The coil, distributor, wires and plugs , we don't know this yet. I see where he has pertronix. Its been a long time,,, but I have messed with that setup, once. Should be a red wire coming from the pick-up coil to the + side of the coil. Black wire from the same going to the - side of the coil. Check those connections, that is if there is no fire.

Do we have fuel at the carb?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Want to thank all who have given me advice. Based on having no spark, decided to replace the new pertronix inginator with a nanother new one and car started right up. Tried testing the removed system by again using an ohm meter , connnecting the two leads and then rotating the round spark sensor near the module and got no indication of it working. Cleaned up the car and had it on the road in about two hours, car ran fine, no problems.
Again Thanks too all who helped.
Larry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
3 Participants
R.S.LOGAN
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing