Ford Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,692 Posts
If you can feather the pedal and it's better , COULD be accelerator pump in carb . If plug lead was bad it should have meant that cyl was not firing . Other leads could be breaking down under load . Some carbs have a filter in the carb which can choke up . Check and see if timing is advancing when revving up to see if dist. advance / retard is working

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I will check the advance/retard and recheck the plug wires. I replaced the wires but I will double check. Thanks again for your information and I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I put in a new distributor and checked all the wires and it all seems correct. My problem now is not the shutter but throttle response while in drive through the pedal. I can rev the engine up by hand all day long and it instantly responds but if I switch to the pedal it lags like crazy. The acceleration cable is fairly new and tight and seems to be in working order. I assume one if not both vacuum advance or retard on the old distributor was bad because it seems to run better now. Any clue as to why I don't have the same response from the pedal as I do manually. Thanks again and we are getting closer to this land yacht running perfect thanks to everyone's help.

·
Super Moderator
23,692 Posts
" The acceleration cable is fairly new and tight " You will have to check the cable is not holding the throttle open a bit and is allowing it to rest / shut off on the carb throttle screw stop . If it's holding it open any , your idle settings / mixture will be out . Make sure the choke idle screw has clearance also . " I can rev the engine up by hand all day long and it instantly responds but if I switch to the pedal it lags like crazy. " never came across that before on any car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds as if we are all stumped. It just makes no sense why I can have throttle response in park and neutral but not drive. Even when I put the car in drive and floor it the car barely moves. This thing has me puzzled. Just trying to do a father son build but it's not cooperating

·
Super Moderator
23,692 Posts
Might be barking up the wrong tree here and on a bum steer with engine , could be a transmission fault . You checked vac capsule on gearbox as was suggested in earlier post ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
New problem. The car will not start now. All I did was turn it off while it was running and now it will not restart. Just turns over. I will have to check the timing when I get a chance but why would the timing be off if it was running before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Everything checks put good. I have checked all plugs and wires and all have spark, distributor looks good, cap and rotor look good, rotor is in line with the #1 plug wire and #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke. Fuel supply looks good. Battery is new. Points are at .017 and condenser is new. Ignition coil is also new. Any ideas what my issue is? I literally drove the car around the block twice came home and cut it off now it won't crank just spins. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What are the odds that my timing chain has jumped?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have fire from the ignition coil through the plugs but it will not crank. I have poured gas down the carburetor, starter fluid, nothing helps it just spins. Like I said I have fire at the plugs not a heavy spark but a spark. After I poured gas in the carburetor and tried to crank it and nothing happened I pulled the plugs out again and they were all dry and a light brown color.

·
Super Moderator
23,692 Posts
You are confusing me with your terminology . " but it will not crank. " Cranking means the engine is turning over , then you say " it just spins " " tried to crank it and nothing happened " Again , is the engine turning over but not firing?

·
Super Moderator
23,692 Posts
You ever checked the cylinder compressions ? light brown color is normal but would have thought they would have been wet with trying to start and not firing . Cant remember if I suggested checking all earths especially any from power unit to body

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well I tried again and a few times it almost started but then nothing. I have it lined up correctly and I moved the distributor from one side to the other and like I said it almost started twice but never did. I don't have great spark but I do have some spark on all 8 plugs. I have tried gas and starter fluid but neither worked. I'm stumped. Never have I had a stubborn engine in my life. My poor son just looks at me like I'm clueless but I know what I'm doing. Well maybe it looks different 🤔

·
Registered
2 Posts
RS Logan, in an earlier reply, you said #1 cylinder is at the front on drivers side. Is it not on passenger side. The diagram of the engine a couple of posts above that shows it to be on passenger side also. Starting firing order on #5 instead of #1 could cause issues. Thanks Terry

·
Super Moderator
23,692 Posts
RS Logan, in an earlier reply, you said #1 cylinder is at the front on drivers side. Is it not on passenger side. The diagram of the engine a couple of posts above that shows it to be on passenger side also. Starting firing order on #5 instead of #1 could cause issues. Thanks Terry
You sure I said that ?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts