Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I want to start by saying I am NOT a mechanic, this is hobby for me and my sons to work on. I just recently bought a 1970's Mustang Coupe. The car is a rolling chassis. All the steel and body work were already done. Dipped and painted. However, there is no engine, electrical, cooling system, fuel system, or any part of the interior. The car came with a good amount of parts however, I am not 100% sure they will all go together. I figure to start with the engine and drive train.

1 - I have a bare block with the the identification of D2AE-CA and below that TD2. From what I have been able to research this is a 1972 Engine. I have the 4V heads (also need to be sent to the machine shop) I was told by the gentleman that I bought it from that this is a 351 Cleveland. It is a 4 bold main. I also have a C4 transmission, Which is suppose to be ready to install. and what I think is a 9 inch rear end. They did some modification to the front end (see pictures).

What would you guys recommend for the engine build. Stroker kits? intake? headers? etc... or would a crate engine be a better option? What is the best places to find good economical parts?
Any advise and guidance would be great.

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
How soon do you want it on the road? How much time do you want to spend with your sons building it? Crates are great if you want to drop and run, even better as they'll likely save you a couple of bucks. BUT... doing the rebuild and what you learn how it interacts as well as the time you spend with your sons. As far as the build itself, what do you want to use the car for? Cruising with an occasional lead foot? Action on the strip? f you want versatility an horsepower, I'd recommend going with an EFI conversion, headers with a 2 1/2" exhaust system. Parts? There's a ton of them with varying prices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How soon do you want it on the road? How much time do you want to spend with your sons building it? Crates are great if you want to drop and run, even better as they'll likely save you a couple of bucks. BUT... doing the rebuild and what you learn how it interacts as well as the time you spend with your sons. As far as the build itself, what do you want to use the car for? Cruising with an occasional lead foot? Action on the strip? f you want versatility an horsepower, I'd recommend going with an EFI conversion, headers with a 2 1/2" exhaust system. Parts? There's a ton of them with varying prices.

Thank you for the reply, - I don't mind spending the time on it. I have not really put a time frame on it, but more of something we can do together, building or enjoying it. To be honest I am hoping like hell to pull them off the ipads and videos. Hopefully, they learn to get their hands greasy.

The build I would like it as a cruiser with the occasional track day or back road lead foot. (more fun than competition). The EFI would take care of the intake and ignition. What would you recommend for the lower end. I guess first i would have to determine if i do in fact have a 351 C. How do unequivocally confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
7,739 Posts
Who ever wrote this article was all over the board with the tell tells for a Cleveland, but they're there.

Good to hear about the time thing. Taught my daughter how to work on a vehicle when she insisted on buying a piece of crap Mitsubishi Eclipse when she was still in high school. Before her and her husband got transferred to Okinawa, she had an 88 Chevy C10 (I can teach her to work on them, but I couldn't teach her taste) that she enjoyed working on.

As for the lower end, there's some factors to look at, if it's a mild cam without a high over lap, you may be able to go to 12 to 1 cor compression ratio on pump gas. I suggest you look at what the stock parts will get you to and look from there. If you lobe separation angle on your cam is 108-112° bumping compression ratio up with a mild stoke should keep you in the street able range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts