Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I got a E-350 5.8L V8 Windsor in my 1983 Ford E 350 without a belt connecting the smog pump and the alternator. I measured the space between the pulleys and got NBH 257280 from Napa. I detach the smog pump pulley, thread the belt around, thread the bottom of the belt, while hanging, on the alternator sheaves, and reattach the smog pump pulley. When I start the car, the chain slips and squeals like a pig.

The belt is slightly too loose, but Napa claims it's a guaranteed fit for the air pump (which I think is the same as the smog pump). Tried the next size down and it's juuust too small. Can anyone tell me what belt to buy or if I should do something different when I install a V-belt? Brand new to the van servicing game. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Have you tried measuring with a piece of string? Is there some sort of tensioner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I got a E-350 5.8L V8 Windsor in my 1983 Ford E 350 without a belt connecting the smog pump and the alternator. I measured the space between the pulleys and got NBH 257280 from Napa. I detach the smog pump pulley, thread the belt around, thread the bottom of the belt, while hanging, on the alternator sheaves, and reattach the smog pump pulley. When I start the car, the chain slips and squeals like a pig.

The belt is slightly too loose, but Napa claims it's a guaranteed fit for the air pump (which I think is the same as the smog pump). Tried the next size down and it's juuust too small. Can anyone tell me what belt to buy or if I should do something different when I install a V-belt? Brand new to the van servicing game. Thank you
start with size 6PK2310 (Serpentine Belt-Rib Ace Precision Engineered V-Ribbed Belt BANDO)

I would suggest going to a local auto parts store for this because it may take one or two sizes to get right. But start with that and make sure the tensioner has the arrow within the range indicated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts