Ford Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2WD 1984 Ford F-150 supercab with a manual transmission that I
am looking at selling. Somebody has asked me if it is has
positraction.

I don't know. I can't take it out in the snow right now to try it out
(spin test) because I need to replace the hydraulic clutch hose. Is
this standard for this model?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Translation: GM calls theirs positive traction; Ford calls theirs Limited
Slip. They do the same thing, afaik. You should be able to look at the
axle tag, and probably the door placard, to find out if it does or doesn't
have it.

Because these units use internal clutches, they lose their effectiveness
with miles; therefore, it might be a moot point unless the purchaser plans
on tearing down the axle to replace the clutch packs.

CJB



<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >Somebody has asked me if it is has
>> positraction.
>>I don't know.

>
> It doesn't. Positraction is a GM feature.
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack up the rear end, spin one rear tire by hand. If the other rear tire
spins in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If the other tire spins in
the opposite direction, then it's an open differential.

Spdloader



"chipnskye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a 2WD 1984 Ford F-150 supercab with a manual transmission that I
> am looking at selling. Somebody has asked me if it is has
> positraction.
>
> I don't know. I can't take it out in the snow right now to try it out
> (spin test) because I need to replace the hydraulic clutch hose. Is
> this standard for this model?
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Spdloader" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jack up the rear end, spin one rear tire by hand. If the other rear tire
> spins in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If the other tire spins
> in the opposite direction, then it's an open differential.


Or a non-function Limited slip....

>
> Spdloader
>
>
>
> "chipnskye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I have a 2WD 1984 Ford F-150 supercab with a manual transmission that I
>> am looking at selling. Somebody has asked me if it is has
>> positraction.
>>
>> I don't know. I can't take it out in the snow right now to try it out
>> (spin test) because I need to replace the hydraulic clutch hose. Is
>> this standard for this model?
>>

>
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"chipnskye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a 2WD 1984 Ford F-150 supercab with a manual transmission that I
> am looking at selling. Somebody has asked me if it is has
> positraction.
>
> I don't know. I can't take it out in the snow right now to try it out
> (spin test) because I need to replace the hydraulic clutch hose. Is
> this standard for this model?
>


No, limited slip (Fords version of GM's "positraction") is an option, not
standard. Somebody would have had to pay a few hundred extra dollars for
that option. If it has a factory limited slip/Traction-Loc then the tag on
the rear end will indicate that. The tag will say something like 3.25 for
an open rear end and 3L25 for a limited slip/Traction-Loc rear end... For
the truck you are asking about it is much more likely to have an open rear
end, not a limited slip.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, clutches could be "done" by now.

Spdloader



"351CJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Spdloader" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Jack up the rear end, spin one rear tire by hand. If the other rear tire
>> spins in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If the other tire spins
>> in the opposite direction, then it's an open differential.

>
> Or a non-function Limited slip....
>
>>
>> Spdloader
>>
>>
>>
>> "chipnskye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>I have a 2WD 1984 Ford F-150 supercab with a manual transmission that I
>>> am looking at selling. Somebody has asked me if it is has
>>> positraction.
>>>
>>> I don't know. I can't take it out in the snow right now to try it out
>>> (spin test) because I need to replace the hydraulic clutch hose. Is
>>> this standard for this model?
>>>

>>
>>

>
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Spdloader" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jack up the rear end, spin one rear tire by hand. If the other rear tire
> spins in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If the other tire spins

in
> the opposite direction, then it's an open differential.
>
> Spdloader
>
>
>
> "chipnskye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >I have a 2WD 1984 Ford F-150 supercab with a manual transmission that I
> > am looking at selling. Somebody has asked me if it is has
> > positraction.
> >
> > I don't know. I can't take it out in the snow right now to try it out
> > (spin test) because I need to replace the hydraulic clutch hose. Is
> > this standard for this model?
> >


This test will work a lot better if the transmission is in neutral:)

Al
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everybody for their suggestions/ideas. I put it in neutral,
jacked up the rear end and spun each tire. The opposite tire did not
move.

When I put it into second gear and tried again, the tires turned in
opposite directions - so I guess I have an open differential.

Thanks again.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, open diff.

Spdloader


"chipnskye" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks to everybody for their suggestions/ideas. I put it in neutral,
> jacked up the rear end and spun each tire. The opposite tire did not
> move.
>
> When I put it into second gear and tried again, the tires turned in
> opposite directions - so I guess I have an open differential.
>
> Thanks again.
>
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top