Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1987 Mercury Cougar that I am trying to install an aftermarket radio in. The car seems to have a premium sound with an amp in the trunk. The radio is DEH-X3800UI I purchased metra cables so I would not have to cut the factory wires. I purchased it from Crutchfield they also sent Scosche FGA Floating Ground Adapter and Metra 70-5000 Receiver Wiring Harness. I installed the radio without using the floating ground. The radio has been working fine for over a year however now it seems to get hot and then I lose the volume. The strange thing is it seems to happen more when I have my foot holding the brake for proloned periods. My questions are, Has anyone ever experienced anything simeler? Also, has anyone installed a newer aftermarket radio in a ford with premium sound? I am at a loss of why it worked for a year and now this is happening. I am not sure how to connect the floating ground Also the 1st thing I notice about the Scosche fgba is that the wiring diagram on the package contradicts the diagram on the paper directions included. If anyone has done this project successfully and has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Pioneer-DEH-X3800UI

Metra 70-5000 Receiver Wiring Harness

Scosche FGA Floating Ground Adapter

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
It could be the built in amp receiving an under voltage condition, what's your alternator putting out at idle when under a load (lights on, fan on, stereo on, etc.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to have the alternator checked. The under-voltage idea is very interesting. Thank you for that suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
I was going to suggest it was a possible ground fault but I aint no electrical expert , I had others in the workshop who I paid to do this work .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts