Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We meet again gents. Hope you've been well. 馃槉

Test drove an '88 E250 today with 87k original miles. (I know, right?)

Anyway it took a little bit to start and I had to keep revving it for a few minutes but after that, it stayed running on its own. So I took it down the residential streets but really wanted to test it at highway speeds to see if anything wobbled or the transmission acted funny at higher gears. On my way I turned on the AC to test it and it came on, but almost immediately when I would give any solid amount of gas the engine would lose power. It never stalled and shut off, but the more I tried to gas it the more it would act like it wanted to die. When I would baby it and be real light on the pedal it would putt along okay, but again any extra gas above that caused engine power loss. Turned off the ac and it seemed to function better regardless of how hard I pushed the gas.

I understand the concept when the AC compressor is engaged that it puts more load on the motor, but just wondering what that's a sign of when the motor cant take it? And if that's something fixable or something more severe that will end up costing me a lot of money in the end.

It's a gas engine if that helps anything info wise...

Super Moderator
Need to LOAD test the alternator , might not be able to cope when air con switched on especially if already coping with a low battery which should also be LOAD tested

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need to LOAD test the alternator , might not be able to cope when air con switched on especially if already coping with a low battery which should also be LOAD tested
Gotcha. So your first suspicion is the alternator. Wish the van was in the same town as me so I could zip back over there. 馃槖

So if alternator checks out ok, what would be the next most likely culprit?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got to test the battery , as if low , weak , dud cell . alternator will be working overtime when air con load kicks in .
I'm so dumb, I forgot to mention the exhaust is cut off right after the cat, but it also seemed a little eroded in front of the cat. So there's some exhaust leakage there.

I know flow restriction to and through the cat could cause power loss, but can too little flow resistance cause power loss as well?

Super Moderator
Cutting off the mufflers / exhaust and removing any upstream o2 sensors may affect the ECU and sensors , emissions , lack of back pressure can also cause other problems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts