Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1988 merc XR5 that i need some help with getting the oem strut part numbers. i have replaced them a few years ago with aftermarket ones & it does not handle or ride like it used to.
thanks for any help
merc88

·
Super Moderator
8,100 Posts
Ford parts no longer lists struts, you'll have to deal with after market. Often, the after market will have superior products in the realm of suspension. What did you byt?

Things to take into account: Load you're carrying. If you car pool with it, you will wear them out early.
Road roughness
Aggressive driving
Things like alignment, improper tires, bad strut bearings, and just about anything else that would make your car bounce can cause an early demise or sag.

Bear in mind that there are a lot of "economy" suspension and brake parts out there that are only designed to pass a safety inspection this year. I tend to avoid anything with "China" in the label.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
This is what's available from RockAuto

front

MOTORCRAFT part# AM115 Front; BASE SUSPENSION; Engine VIN S

MOTORCRAFT part# AM194G Front Gas Charged Cartridge ALL WHEEL DRIVE

rear

MOTORCRAFT part# AM917G {#F43Z18125A} Rear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES I HAVE REPLACED ALL 4 STRUTS. I USED MOTORCRAFT STRUTS I GOT FROM A LOCAL FORD DEALER. I DO NOT KNOW THE PART NUMBER. THESE ROAD WAY TO SOFT, HANDLING WAS NOT LIKE IT WAS WITH THE ORIGINAL STRUTS. I AM TRYING TO GET IT BACK TO ORIGINAL HANDLING
I MIGHT TRY THE ONES FROM ROCK AUTO.I DONT THINK IT HAD BASE SUSPENSION, BUT DONT KNOW THAT FOR SURE
THANKS
MERC88

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
More than likely the replacements from your local Ford dealer are the same as the ones from RockAuto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts