Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Can anyone tell me what the alignment specs are (toe, caster, camber,
cross camber) for a 1989 Ford Tempo, FWD, 2.3?

Thanks in advance. I don't trust this shop, and want to be armed with
this info before I go in.

--
Wound Up
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Wound Up" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hello
>
> Can anyone tell me what the alignment specs are (toe, caster, camber,
> cross camber) for a 1989 Ford Tempo, FWD, 2.3?
>
> Thanks in advance. I don't trust this shop, and want to be armed with
> this info before I go in.


Take it someplace else then?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you insist on dealing with a shop that, for whatever reason, you don't
trust, you will be doing both yourself and the shop a dis-service...

From the factory, the only provisions for adjustments are for front and rear
toe. If front caster/camber or rear camber is out of spec, some adjustment
can be gained trough the use of aftermarket kits. My experience shows that
these kits are neither cheap to purchase nor cheap to install.... but if I
see readings that may cause driveability issues or tire wear concerns, there
isn't much choice in the matter. I will not put myself into a position where
the customer can blame his worn tires on me.

As for the specs themselves.... it would be a little time consuming for my
to type them out (not to mention the opportunity for a typo) and my
conditiones of employment prohibit me from doing a cut and paste.... Your
local library will often have service manuals that you can copy or any
alignment shopthat you can bring yourself to trust will either have the
specs programmed into their alignment rack or have one of the aftermarket
specs listings tha some fornt end part manufacturers have available.

HTH

"Wound Up" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hello
>
> Can anyone tell me what the alignment specs are (toe, caster, camber,
> cross camber) for a 1989 Ford Tempo, FWD, 2.3?
>
> Thanks in advance. I don't trust this shop, and want to be armed with
> this info before I go in.
>
> --
> Wound Up
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On second thought....you need to remember that there's some that visit both
places....

"Wound Up" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1137425810.223170.52220
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I posted this in AAF, but trust this group's technical knowledge a lot
> more...


Take your foot outta yer mouth, young'un.... t'ain't healthy...
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim Warman wrote:
> On second thought....you need to remember that there's some that visit both
> places....
>
> "Wound Up" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1137425810.223170.52220
> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I posted this in AAF, but trust this group's technical knowledge a lot
> > more...

>
> Take your foot outta yer mouth, young'un.... t'ain't healthy...


Mr. Warman, I call 'em like I see 'em. I've seen shameful posts and
even more shameful replies in this group. "I have this noise"... "yeah,
me too, I've learned to ignore it". That is just one sad-ass example.
How cool is my riced-out Focus is another.

I know you aren't all that fond of me, and so be it. I hate
disingenousness more than anything. I'm not the lunatic I once was;
even WF appears begrudgingly able to accept my presence in threads.
Just ease up a bit, before you get all excited. I find that deep
breathing helps me tremendously. And to hell with the trolls. Cprice
and Rich are fools.

--
Wound Up
TS #65
http://www.tinyurl.com/9yulk
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim Warman wrote:
> If you insist on dealing with a shop that, for whatever reason, you don't
> trust, you will be doing both yourself and the shop a dis-service...
>


Firestone owes me warranty work. I am not going 20 miles out of my way
to ensure their company gives it to me. I am going to the place from
which I've bought 11 tires this year, and holding them to doing it
correctly.

> From the factory, the only provisions for adjustments are for front and rear
> toe. If front caster/camber or rear camber is out of spec, some adjustment
> can be gained trough the use of aftermarket kits. My experience shows that
> these kits are neither cheap to purchase nor cheap to install.... but if I
> see readings that may cause driveability issues or tire wear concerns, there
> isn't much choice in the matter. I will not put myself into a position where
> the customer can blame his worn tires on me.
>


Interesting... well, if they would just set the toe properly, it would
help a great deal. It's pigeon-toed, front and rear. I am only going
to keep this thing another couple years, but its wet traction is
horrible because of this condition, and the resultant wear. I know
full well that some of the wear is due to the worn struts, but not the
outer edges, and not this asymmetrically.

> As for the specs themselves.... it would be a little time consuming for my
> to type them out (not to mention the opportunity for a typo) and my
> conditiones of employment prohibit me from doing a cut and paste.... Your
> local library will often have service manuals that you can copy or any
> alignment shopthat you can bring yourself to trust will either have the
> specs programmed into their alignment rack or have one of the aftermarket
> specs listings tha some fornt end part manufacturers have available.
>
> HTH
>


Thanks. I have the specs, and I appreciate the input regarding what is
adjustable and what is not on these cars. Now I know what to focus on.
Like I said, I'm only keeping the old bugger another couple years.
Things are getting slowly worse. I fear that second gear will need to
be double-clutched soon!

--
Wound Up
TS #65
http://www.tinyurl.com/9yulk
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MasterBlaster wrote:
> "Wound Up" wrote
>
> > Can anyone tell me what the alignment specs are (toe, caster, camber,
> > cross camber) for a 1989 Ford Tempo, FWD, 2.3?
> >
> > Thanks in advance. I don't trust this shop, and want to be armed with
> > this info before I go in.

>
> Everything 84-94
> BIG pic (310kb)
> http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d8012801b.gif


Many thanks! Saved and printed.

--
Wound Up
TS #65
http://www.tinyurl.com/9yulk
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top