Ford Forums banner

1989?

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dinomite 
#1 ·
Is it True that the 1989 5.0 stang was the better year for 87-93 stangs as far as power!!?!?!?

#2 ·
I have also heard that, I assume you are ruling out the 1993 Cobra R :D

I have also heard that the 87-88 with speed density are a little quicker.

Ian

#4 ·
For starters....89 was the last year for 8 inch rims. More rubber, more grab. Ford was also still rating horsepower the old way, 92 was the last year for this. Just for the record ( not to make anyone feel dumb ), there's no such thing as a 93 Cobra "R". I owned a 93 Cobra off of the show floor when I was 19. A Cobra was just that...a Cobra. I've seen a couple of publications call it an "R" as well and have written them with a correction. I don't know everything but I think if you hunt enough you'll find that odd years of Mustangs ( from 85-91 ) were faster than the evens surrounding them. There were small technical differences with them. The first year of any major modification was almost always not very well thought through. So, to answer the question....yes, 89"s were faster :)

#5 ·
damien1 said:
. Just for the record ( not to make anyone feel dumb ), there's no such thing as a 93 Cobra "R". I owned a 93 Cobra off of the show floor when I was 19. A Cobra was just that...a Cobra. I've seen a couple of publications call it an "R" as well and have written them with a correction
In 1993, Ford made 5,100 Cobra models which included exactly 107 R models. They were all painted red and differed from the regular Cobra by having a completely different suspension, wheels that would not see regular production until 1994 and all extraneous weight removed from the vehicle including the back seat, the air conditioning and the radio. They were only sold to customers that had a professional racers license and were made to be raced.

Behold:

As my daddy always said, "It's one thing to have people think you're stupid, it's another to open your mouth and prove it." You might want to write back to those magazines and apologize.

#6 ·
I still have not put my foot in my mouth, this is not a factory car. This is not considered " production ". These cars are farmed out. Saleen is not factory, Cobra "R" is not factory, Roush is not factory, Twister special is not factory, McLaren is not factory.And further more you could not go buy a Cobra "R" off the floor, you could not order one. I apologize, when they said that the cobra "R" was the only car that could beat the 89' I thought that they were referring to factory cars. Like they were calling a Cobra an "R". It was the only "factory" contender for that car. The Cobra, that is. And if I'm not mistaken these cars are the cars that you will find at race schools.... Bondurant, Marlboro, and the likes.

#7 ·
damien1 said:
I still have not put my foot in my mouth, this is not a factory car. This is not considered " production ". These cars are farmed out. Saleen is not factory, Cobra "R" is not factory, Roush is not factory, Twister special is not factory, McLaren is not factory.And further more you could not go buy a Cobra "R" off the floor, you could not order one. I apologize, when they said that the cobra "R" was the only car that could beat the 89' I thought that they were referring to factory cars. Like they were calling a Cobra an "R". It was the only "factory" contender for that car. The Cobra, that is. And if I'm not mistaken these cars are the cars that you will find at race schools.... Bondurant, Marlboro, and the likes.
:rolleyes:

From The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook, 1979 through 1993 by Al Kirschenbaum copyright 2000:

...By the end of the 1993 model year, 4993 Mustang Cobra models had been built. At the end of April 1993, 107 Cobra R models were built. At a time when the Dearborn Assembly Plant was producing between 48 and 52 Mustangs per hour, the Cobra was built at a rate of four cars per hour. During the period that the short run of R models was on the assembly line, the production of standard Cobra models was temporarily suspended...... .....The 1993 Mustang Cobra R models were on the assembly line between April 26 and approximately May 4, 1993.

They were NOT farmed out. Neither were the 95 R or the 2000 R. That's what makes them so cool. They are a factory race car!!! If you had an SCCA license, you could buy one!!!

#8 ·
They were too farmed out. In case people didnt know, the base car is built on the line, the car is shipped, and they are completed. The assembly plants ( no matter what they build ) usually get a preview of the specialty cars befor even the magazines. Has anyone here ever sat in a 2001 Cobra "R" ? Well, I have. It's completed at SVT in Dearborn....not Dearborn Assembly. The writers of these books dont spend there time in an assembly plant working on the line. Seeing what goes on every day. I DO. You would be suprised to findout what get's farmed out. Ford tonneau covers from the factory, not FROM the factory. Up until 93....GM's leather interior, NOT from GM. Lightnings arent completed in an assembly plant. Most people have no idea what goes on in assembly plants. I dont slam 'em for it. But nonetheless, they do not know. Lot's of cars get farmed out every day, it's an issue of logistics. It's not that they cannot build them in the plant. It's just that it's less expensive and safer to do it elsewhere. ( safer from parts growing legs and walking away )
Damon

#9 ·
Never argue with stupid people. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Are you aware that SVT is a design group of Ford Motor Company and does NO MANUFACTURING of vehicles on it's own? They DESIGN the vehicle to be built by Ford.

This is a ridiculous conversation that will go nowhere because you have no idea of what you're talking about and refuse to acknowledge that you're wrong. If you don't believe me, why don't you call SVT and ask them? 1-(800) Ford-SVT

Relating to the 2000 R: from SVT's website at http://www.svt.ford.com/aboutsvt.html :

The Ford Special Vehicle Team's 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R is the pony car icon taken to the extreme of pure performance. Developed specifically for racing, 300 of these vehicles were built at Ford's Dearborn Assembly Plant in Spring of 2000, and sold through selected SVT certified dealers.

Now, I suppose you're going to tell me that you know more than SVT themselves? Or that they're lying?

ADMIT THAT YOU ARE WRONG!!!!! I feel like I'm arguing with a 16-year old (of course, maybe I am).

G
#11 ·
I don't understand why everyone is getting so hot, but no one
likes to admit that they might be wrong :)

Just my $.02 worth, but I would consider ANY car that I could
order through a valid dealer a 'production' car. Parts of it may
be completed elsewhere, but it's not like you had to buy a
base model and then farm it out on your own to get all the
options you wanted on it..

When I purchased my 1970 426 HemiCuda I ordered it through
a normal Plymouth Dealer, and couldn't care less who did what
to get it the way I wanted it. I didn't have to buy the normal
run of the mill 440 Cuda and then turn around and send it to
Sox's & Martin on my own to have it completed.

A production car can be 'normal production', or 'limited production',
doesn't make a difference as far as I can see as long as you only
have to visit your local dealer, place the order, and wait for it to
arrive.. :)

#12 ·
damien1 said:
The writers of these books dont spend there time in an assembly plant working on the line. Seeing what goes on every day. I DO.

Damon
What do you do there, sweep the floors or keep track of what SVT's doing?

#13 ·
Easy Dave, don't let this guys opinion, no matter how wrong, get you so steamed up it gets you out of character and start (dare I say it) flaming.

It's obvious the guy has no clue when he states, "there's no such thing as a 93 Cobra "R". I owned a 93 Cobra off of the show floor when I was 19. A Cobra was just that...a Cobra. I've seen a couple of publications call it an "R" as well and have written them with a correction.

When given the opportunity, does he say "oops, my bad. Thanks for the info."? Nope. He plays it off by stating, "I apologize, when they said that the cobra "R" was the only car that could beat the 89' I thought that they were referring to factory cars. Like they were calling a Cobra an "R". :rolleyes:

So, when you produced empirical data, he responds with examples of "tonneau covers from the factory, not FROM the factory. Up until 93....GM's leather interior."

Wow. He really swayed me with that logic! Hey Dave, when did Ford start putting tonneau covers on the Cobra R's?

Damon, I probably shouldn't have typed that last paragraph, because all that will accomplish is to make you angry. Believe it or not, I'm NOT trying to do that. But my God, don't you think it's a bit ridiculous to NOT admit you made a mistake? Based on your responses, it's obvious (to me) that you're trying to play it off. And your attempt to qualify your statements by claiming to work on the assembly line doesn't cut it either.

Sorry Damon, but you need to do better research before you argue a point with someone.

No harm intended (flames) but I have a feeling you'll decry this post as inaccurate as well.

Stewart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.