Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you need to find the number stamped on the engine block, or are you trying to find out if you have the higher performance HSO engine?

If you want to know if you have the base model engine or the high performance engine, look at the VIN.

The seventh letter in the VIN should be either X (base engine) or S ( higher performance “HSO” engine).

Hope this helps, I’m glad to see someone else in this forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan ! My engine is the basic one, 98 HP. Need to find the engine number stamped in the block..
Proud owner since 1998, 95 k miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wasn’t able to find a casting number on mine, it may be covered by a bracket or some other part.

I did see something lower down on the block, to the left of the distributor but it looked like a 3 and one other character I couldn’t read.

I looked in my old manuals, the only mention was in a Ford Service training guide that called out the block as -6010- .

To the best of my knowledge all these blocks are the same. The heads change depending on year and whether or not they are the base HSC or the HSO.

There is another member who I believe is on this forum, username is “rsiebeck” or something like that. He’s raced Tempos, and can no doubt tell you where to look, send him an email if you find his profile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Third post up from the bottom of this page, “86 HO Sport head needed”.

The author is rseibenick and he’s forgotten more about Tempos than I’ll ever know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts