Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting these fault codes and am curious about fixing them but not sure where to start.
52- Power steering pressure switch open.
81- Air diverter solenoid fault, intake air control circuit fault / air injection diverter.
82- Air diverter solenoid circuit fault or supercharger bypass circuit fault.
82- Integrated relay control module.

1993 F150 5.0 2WD.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm getting these fault codes and am curious about fixing them but not sure where to start.
81- Air diverter solenoid fault, intake air control circuit fault / air injection diverter.

1993 F150 5.0 2WD.
Do you have a multimeter?

·
Registered
28 Posts

1993 F150 5.0 2WD.
Also - is this a Lightning truck? Just wonder since code refers to a supercharger.

You aught to be able to determine what's wrong by putting a DMM (digital multimeter, for future reference) on the faulty parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
That era lightning had a 5.8 and was naturally aspirated. No supercharger until gen 2. Just an FYI.

Op along with checking the sensors as mentioned, check all of your fuses and wiring for any breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
See if this applies to your vehicle

"
Code 81 – Secondary Air Injection Diverter Solenoid failure AM2. The solenoid valve located on the back side of the passenger side wheel well is not functional. Possible bad wiring, bad connections, missing or defective solenoid valve. Check the solenoid valve for +12 volts at the Red wire and look for the Lt Green/Black wire to switch from +12 volts to 1 volt or less. The computer controls the valve by providing a ground path on the LT Green/Black wire for the solenoid valve.

With the with the ignition on, look for 12 volts on the red wire on the solenoid connector. No 12 volts and you have wiring problems.

With the engine running, stick a safety pin in the LT Green/Black wire for the solenoid valve & ground it. That should turn the solenoid on and cause air to flow out the port that goes to the pipe connected to the cats. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does cause the airflow to switch, the computer or wiring going to the computer is not signaling the solenoid valve to open.

Putting the computer into self test mode will cause the solenoid valve to toggle. If you listen carefully, you may hear it change states.
Code 82 – Secondary Air Injection Diverter Solenoid failure AM1. Possible bad wiring, bad connections, missing or defective solenoid valve. Check the solenoid valve for +12 volts at the Red wire and look for the Red/White wire to switch from +12 volts to 1 volt or less. The computer controls the valve by providing a ground path on the Red/White wire for the solenoid valve

With the engine running, stick a safety pin in the Red/White wire for the solenoid valve & ground it. That should turn the solenoid on and cause air to flow out the port that goes to the pipe connected to the heads. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does cause the airflow to switch, the computer or wiring going to the computer is not signaling the solenoid valve to open.

The Thermactor air pump (smog pump) puts air into the heads when the engine is cold and then into the catalytic converters when it is warm. The Thermactor control valves serve to direct the flow. The first valve either dumps air to the atmosphere or passes it on to the second valve. The second valve (diverter valve) directs it to the heads or the catalytic converters. The air serves to help consume any unburned hydrocarbons by supplying extra oxygen to the catalytic process. The computer tells the Thermactor Air System to open the dump valve at WOT (wide open throttle) minimizing engine drag. The dump valve reduces the parasitic drag caused by the smog pump to about 2-4 HP at WOT.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also - is this a Lightning truck? Just wonder since code refers to a supercharger.

You aught to be able to determine what's wrong by putting a DMM (digital multimeter, for future reference) on the faulty parts.
I can borrow a multi meter, also it isn't a lightning. I will test it tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can borrow a multi meter, also it isn't a lightning. I will test it tomorrow. Thank you for the help!

I keep one of these in the glovebox of my truck. I had a HF coupon and got it for free. Funny thing is, this is my go-to meter. I don't have to worry about messing up my other (more expensive) meters, it's compact, and it does 99% of what I need. I recommend it... or a nicer one if you have some extra cash, but if you don't already have one - you probably don't need a fancy one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IIRC for Code 52, when running the test there is a point that you have to turn the steering wheel all the way to the end of travel. Then the P/S switch will change state and the EEC-IV will see it.

I’ll check my book when I get home and let you know if this isn’t right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts