Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 93 F150 with a 5.0. We have changed the plugs, fuel pump in the tank, fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil pack, distributor cap and rotor,....maybe that's it. It idles fine and even reves nicely but under load it goes to crap. It will spin the tires on grass/dirt but when asphalt is involved it spits and sputters and pops back through the injection system. Where do I go from here? Pressure regulator? Are there some sort of sensors I need to replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
I apologize for not being more help but I’m glad thats all it was. Thanks for following up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
Thanks for updating the forum , info might help others with similar problem . Unusual for not getting any replies or help but unfortunately some slip through the net or others who can help have not been on forum to answer .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I spoke to soon. It seemed like the problem was fixed but it's not. I'm now thinking it's gotta be a vacuum line issue. It still reves fine but spits and sputters under a load. you can kill it going down the road and start it back and she'll run like a rabbit for a min/sec and starts acting up again. She WILL NOT act up in park or neutral but WILL NOT preform under a load. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
19,430 Posts
If you have a vac leak it will mean it's drawing too much air and will lean out mixture causing the symptoms your getting . Also check the PCV valve and hose .
This is for a 1990 but may be the same

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
R.S. Logan. I finally got it figured out. After replacing the PCV valve and having a gut feeling it had to be something else I limped it 25 miles to my local O'reilly's Auto Part Store. After about 2.5 hours of testing and everyone putting their 2 cents in the testing unit wouldn't talk to the ECM after I warmed the truck up and limped it back to the store. When we cycled the key the computer talked to the ECM fine. So with a shot in the dark I replaced it today and BAM!!! All is well again in this Ford household. Thanks for your efforts and I hope this information helps.

I did replace the PCV valve btw before the new ECM came in. I don't think the old one was bad but it was $1.94 well spent anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts