Ford Forums banner

1993 Ford Probe gt, v6, auto O/D light blinking

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Orionsbeltloop 
#1 ·
(Let me first say that I have very very little knowledge about vehicle mechanics)

I have a 1993 probe gt. The speedometer does not work and the o/d light is blinking. My dad is a mechanic and will ultimately be helping me fix this, but hes very busy and Idk when we will get to it. I read somewhere that the flashing o/d light could possibly mean a faulty speed sensor. Since my speedometer doesnt work, that is something my dad said he would work on fixing. What I was wanting to know is, could it be that the speedometer issues are also causing the od light to flash? My dad said the car shifts fine, so I wouldnt think and would hope it's not a transmission issue.

I bought this car about 2 weeks ago and since have had both front struts, and left axle and CV boot replaced. My break light was on for a bit, but we figured out that was just the Ebrake that was a little stuck. Pulled and released it a few times and it's good now. I need my entire exhaust system replaced and my fuel pressure gauge on the dash shows really low....
While getting the struts fixed in a shop, I was told there is a small oil leak around the valve cover, but I was told this was common for this car and age and most likely need head gasket replaced. Although my dad says it shifts fine, I also think it down shifts a little hard. My dad says he thinks the overdrive is definitely on but the button on the shifter doesnt turn it off.
Just did an oil change today.
(Just adding as much extra info as possible in case that would help anything.)

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok. So I messed with it a bit. I turned the car on but didnt turn it over, and pressed the od button. The od light does go on and off, so it looks like I can turn it on and off, but then it starts flashing when I am driving. My fiance has a code reader which (once we find it) well plug in a d see what it reads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.