Ford Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? Here the low on my car. Hell I'm just trying to sell it, but I can't sell it like it is.

I got the car with a BHG and fixed it, no problems. Ran great for a few weeks, but check engine light was still on.

The car started doing this thing where it would hesitate, then the check engine light will actually turn itself off, then on, then off again, and by the time that little cycle is complete it will choke and puke if I try to give it gas. Even if I try to park it and let it idle, itll eventually die out. Thats if I even make it to a parking lot without dying on the road. Once its dead, it wont start up for a few hours. If I let it sit long enough, it'll go back to running fine on short trips (2 miles or less).

When the car does run, it gets bad gas mileage and smells like its running real rich. Also, the check engine light doesnt turn off. I've only replaced a few things, since I dont want to dump a whole lot of money guessing whats wrong.

I did do the cap, plugs, plug wires, alternator and battery to eliminate the charging/spark system. Timing is right on (+10º TDC). I did the fuel and air filters. I also replaced that damn TFI which looked like it was going anyways.

Is this a common problem? The weather conditions vary, but I live in chicago so this has mostly happened in fall/winter temperatures and weather.

God I hope this isnt one of those posts where theres a million duplicates, but I need to get this bad boy running and this damn check engine light off. ODB1 sucks.

Thanks in advance all.

1,834 Posts
On Pre-1996 Taurus/Sable a Flashing Check Engine Light is an indicator of a bad O2 Sensor. This can make the engine run rough like you say yours does. Beware!!! Your car may have 2 O2 sensors. (2 upstreams, no downstreams on pre-1996 vehicles) Good Luck!!!

G

·
I figured my o2s were bad, but would that even fix the stalling and the no-start condition? Could it be so bad that my computer just shuts itself off?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would this counter my stalling and no-start condition though? I figured that was what was causing my richness, but unless its pissing my computer off enough to where it shuts down, it cant be that simple can it?

1,834 Posts
You didn't say if you replaced the O2 sensors yet-the light will stay on until the problem is fixed.

G

·
I have a 1993 Taurus and it started to Stall

The CHECK ENGINE light has been om for years .
The ERG Plastic 3 terminal sensor burnt out and was replaced 75$.
It still stalls.
What shall i try next.
Please

Paul

· Registered
3 Posts
check the fuel for pressure. maybe the fuel pump going. i had a intermitant stalling problem, where i would start the car up, run then stall. if i got it started past the few mins it was fine for the most part. ended up spending just over 1500 bucks to get that figured out. and it all started with the engine light coming on. long story :( ... GL

G

·
my friend had a mustang that ran for a half an hour and shut off leave it sit ran fine theres a thingy i forget what its called but its on the side of the distributor that kinda rectangle thing with the connector going to it replace that if that doesnt help theres the plastic shield with all the vaccum diagrams on it above the radiator take that off theres an ignition control box there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.