Ford Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1993 Ranger XLT from a private owner in PA, I was at his residence when I purchased it. Very nice guy.

Is this normal for a 1993 Ranger XLT with a 4.0 liter engine to run at almost 3/4 to the Hot mark? I've seen a lot of issues about this on other forums....

I just did a complete flush and clean 4 times on the radiator I then added brand new Antifreeze.... No leaks, no water in the oil crank case dipstick. No pungent exhaust smell, no smoke etc. However I found some radiator stop leak metal in the peatcock valve when I first drained it. I'm wondering if there was an original head gasket issue, and they used that head gasket sealer stuff. I Drove it 60 miles from PA to NY. No heat issues w AC on the trip. Only heat issues is when I'm in local traffic with AC on, that it does climb higher into the 3/4 range.

Any help would be appreciated.

A.P.

·
Super Moderator
22,537 Posts
Carry out a block test if any doubt on head gasket . That head gasket crap should only be used as a last resort or a temp fix , screws up cooling systems .Make sure engine cooling fan is kicking in

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
X
Carry out a block test if any doubt on head gasket . That head gasket crap should only be used as a last resort or a temp fix , screws up cooling systems .Make sure engine cooling fan is kicking in
Can you send me info on how to do a block test? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,537 Posts
You could buy a kit or if you have a friendly local garage they may check it for you ,

AND

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
This is also a classic sign of a stopped up radiator or a bad fan clutch. By a stopped up radiator I mean the tubes are clogged and radiator needs rodding out or replaced. Nowadays, replacing is just as cheap if you are a diy'er.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is also a classic sign of a stopped up radiator or a bad fan clutch. By a stopped up radiator I mean the tubes are clogged and radiator needs rodding out or replaced. Nowadays, replacing is just as cheap if you are a diy'er.
It so looked like stop leak or head gasket sealer. But I will take your advice, yes radiators are very affordable today, I agree thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic friend just informed me that the metal particles from a bad clutch or water pump can't enter the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Clutch (I assume fan clutch) no but an internally corroded water pump yes it could. But if you saw some stop leak in there then I’d say that crap clogged the radiator somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,537 Posts
As suggested by JWKO you cant go wrong changing the radiator first before getting too deeply involved . Many a time on radiators I've replaced that were partially blocked , you could tell immediately on removing by the weight alone that they were plugged .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being the weather cooled down some here in NY, I'll take care of it next year. No need to bother now. However I'll monitor my temps anyways. Thanks for the input.

A.P.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While your in there check the fins of the radiator and A/C condenser for debris. 25+ years of use can collect all sorts of trash and choke off the air flow.

The space between the condenser and the radiator is a favorite place for garbage to collect, too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While your in there check the fins of the radiator and A/C condenser for debris. 25+ years of use can collect all sorts of trash and choke off the air flow.

The space between the condenser and the radiator is a favorite place for garbage to collect, too.
Thanks I'll do that also. Good idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts