Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend work on his truck. Out of nowhere, the gear selector will now move all of the way from P to 1 with just the key turned to "run" position.

Under the vehicle, you can move the trans gear selector separately through seemingly all of the gears, without having a foot on the brake, key in, anything.......

I imagine that something in the COLUMN is broken, and NOT in the transmission itself.

I tried searching first, but didn't find anything. Is this a common problem or an easy fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. He is checking into those suggestions today. I wonder if they can work their way out enough to not engage AT ALL, or if the cable itself broke?

I finally found some info on the cable also.... for future reference, it should be on the driver-most side, under the brake booster, going into the firewall. it SHOULD connect at the bottom of the internal shifting rod or whatever is inside the steering column sleeve.

When I was still able to help him, it was already dark out, and I couldn't see any of these parts with a flashlight. hopefully, I can check these and REMEDY the situation tonight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got to look at it in the daylight. I do not know if there is a difference between earlier and later Rangers, but this 1994 splash has the cable only going to the firewall and connecting to the column outside the firewall.

The problem was the ball stud on the end of the column shifter is directly below the master cylinder/booster. It got drenched in brake fluid, and of course over time, rusted into almost nothing and the cable end just slides on and off.

I do not know the original size of the ball stud, but we are now cutting the old off and drilling through the bracket and will replace with a new ball stud once we find the correct size. I am currently thinking that it is a 10mm ball...... if anyone knows for sure, that would definitely help out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THAT is why he got the vehicle cheap. THAT was a previous problem that the p.o. had paid someone else to fix and it never got done...... sat for maybe 3 years. I have addressed that issue with all new brakes, which was hard to find proper routing when the originals are already missing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
2 Participants
Kenny Coulter
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing