Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this message in the Ford Econoline forums, but not getting much action there. I thought I'd post here possibly for a little more visibility.

I'm having an issue with my van in which there is a misfire at any speed (even idling). It seems to misfire more when the engine has warmed up. Literally, it seems like the engine turns off for about a 1/2 second, then picks up where it was before, with the entire car jerking (if I'm driving while it's doing it).

The car sat for about 2 years, and was started about every 6 months. When I first got it, I had ALL the fluids drained, reservoirs cleaned (where applicable) and then all new fluids put in.

I have had a tune up done, and the technician was specifically looking for the cutting out and the misfire. This is what he changed:

New Plugs (OEM FORD)
New Spark Plug Wires (OEM FORD)
New Distributor Cap
New Rotor
Replaced CTS sensor (What is this?)
Changed Ignition coil (same problem)
Cleaned Fuel Injectors
Cleaned Throttle Body

I can't get it smogged because the smog tests abort when it misfires (randomly but once every 5-20 seconds) otherwise it would pass. It's running a lot better (timing wise etc) but still has exactly the same cutting out. I was thinking of replacing the TFI module, but not exactly sure if that's the culprit. Anything else it can be?

-Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've posted this message in the Ford Econoline forums, but not getting much action there. I thought I'd post here possibly for a little more visibility.

I'm having an issue with my van in which there is a misfire at any speed (even idling). It seems to misfire more when the engine has warmed up. Literally, it seems like the engine turns off for about a 1/2 second, then picks up where it was before, with the entire car jerking (if I'm driving while it's doing it).

The car sat for about 2 years, and was started about every 6 months. When I first got it, I had ALL the fluids drained, reservoirs cleaned (where applicable) and then all new fluids put in.

I have had a tune up done, and the technician was specifically looking for the cutting out and the misfire. This is what he changed:

New Plugs (OEM FORD)
New Spark Plug Wires (OEM FORD)
New Distributor Cap
New Rotor
Replaced CTS sensor (What is this?)
Changed Ignition coil (same problem)
Cleaned Fuel Injectors
Cleaned Throttle Body

I can't get it smogged because the smog tests abort when it misfires (randomly but once every 5-20 seconds) otherwise it would pass. It's running a lot better (timing wise etc) but still has exactly the same cutting out. I was thinking of replacing the TFI module, but not exactly sure if that's the culprit. Anything else it can be?

-Pat
I fixed the problem. It was the TFI module (the ignition control module). If anyone is replacing this, keep in mind there is a special tool you need to unscrew the screws that are attaching the heatsink to the module. I got mine at pepboys (it's basically a 5mm nutdriver with a deep dish super thin casing). It was called the Ford Ignition Control Module tool or something to that effect.

-Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh MY!! I'm going to try this, your symptoms describe my 94 E350 7.5 to the T. I've been trying to fix and have gone through the same parts slam for over a year. I hope you get this post of THANKS! Hope it works for me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue in a 94 E350 motorhome! I changed almost everything with no success! I'm so frustrated! Tomorrow I'll try your solution and will let you know what happened.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed the TFI. Now the problem is not that bad but it isn't solved. I'm sooo frustrated! :angry: Anyone knows a solution?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I would say make sure your fuelfilter is good, read the codes on it, and see where that lands you. I can't give you a direction for a solution but on mine it had some minor issueswhen I baught it and I replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and ran a lot of fuel injector cleaner, it seemed to clear up. mine is a 96 f350 5spd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts