Ford Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello i have a 1994 t bird lx V8 transmission shutter at 60 mph when pressing gas..i am also dripping trans fluid when parked....no slips or any trouble from 0 to 60...but at 60 when i press gas it has loud noise until speed is reached......torque converter ???? it has 78 000 miles.....never winter driven..always garage kept..the trans fluid is perfect...never went brown or black..it is red.....the trans fluid is not low buy the way when this happens....i keep adding fluid when it loses it to make sure no low fluid level........no slippage on any gears...just loud grinding noise when acceleratiing from 60 mph and over until speed is reached...then it is ok.....as long as i dont accel again.........if i accel very slightly..i can barely feel it..but if i push it the grinding noise is immediate....as soon as it is ''under load"".......almost only in 4th gear as i can tell,,,,,,,,any ideas right off the bat ???? I have heard that failing torque converters can do this while in ''lock up'' mode....sounds about right all considering........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shuttering feeling could be bad UJoint's or rear end sloppiness. Not sure about the Noise though
yes i am also starting to think about joints and rear diff....but the thing is no symptoms on hard start off a green light...usually joints would make noise on hard torque accel..i believe...about the diff maybe yes only at high speed......will know a little more tomorrow or in 2 days after shop diagnostic.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
shuttering feeling could be bad UJoint's or rear end sloppiness. Not sure about the Noise though
sorry to bother again...i was just thinking...on my way tomorrow to trans shop,,,i will try removing overdrive and run on 3rd gear...if it does NOT vibrate / shutter under load at 60 mph..it could give me an idea that it is the 4th gear lock up that might be the problem...and if it still does vibrate / shutter in 3rd gear...well then it could point to u joints or diff......right ????? am i thinking this right ?? thanks for a response if you can....do these transmissions lock up in 3rd gear aslo ???...also you were right u joints can definately cause vibrations at high speeds...sorry to doubt that in my previous reply...;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
sorry to bother again...i was just thinking...on my way tomorrow to trans shop,,,i will try removing overdrive and run on 3rd gear...if it does NOT vibrate / shutter under load at 60 mph..it could give me an idea that it is the 4th gear lock up that might be the problem...and if it still does vibrate / shutter in 3rd gear...well then it could point to u joints or diff......right ????? am i thinking this right ?? thanks for a response if you can....do these transmissions lock up in 3rd gear aslo ???...also you were right u joints can definately cause vibrations at high speeds...sorry to doubt that in my previous reply...;)
with the vehicle in park shake up and down and sideways on the driveshaft while looking for play or sloppiness in the Ujoints. Twist the driveshaft back and forth and see how much play and sloppiness you have in the back of the trans and rearend. Push up and down on the driveshaft where it goes into the trans and rearend and see if it's got up and down play. That would be the bearings are going bad. Take the plug out of the rearend and make sure you have enough 80W90 gear lube in it. it should be filled up just until it comes out of the hole the plug came out of

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with the vehicle in park shake up and down and sideways on the driveshaft while looking for play or sloppiness in the Ujoints. Twist the driveshaft back and forth and see how much play and sloppiness you have in the back of the trans and rearend. Push up and down on the driveshaft where it goes into the trans and rearend and see if it's got up and down play. That would be the bearings are going bad. Take the plug out of the rearend and make sure you have enough 80W90 gear lube in it. it should be filled up just until it comes out of the hole the plug came out of
Went to transmission Shop this morning and after road test they said the transmission was fine....and told me to check motor mounts, u joints and drive shaft....thanks for the reply sounds like we are getting somewhere!!! I have a Monday appointment and i will make sure to do all you just replied !! Thanks again will update ......

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello i have a 1994 t bird lx V8 transmission shutter at 60 mph when pressing gas..i am also dripping trans fluid when parked....no slips or any trouble from 0 to 60...but at 60 when i press gas it has loud noise until speed is reached......torque converter ???? it has 78 000 miles.....never winter driven..always garage kept..the trans fluid is perfect...never went brown or black..it is red.....the trans fluid is not low buy the way when this happens....i keep adding fluid when it loses it to make sure no low fluid level........no slippage on any gears...just loud grinding noise when acceleratiing from 60 mph and over until speed is reached...then it is ok.....as long as i dont accel again.........if i accel very slightly..i can barely feel it..but if i push it the grinding noise is immediate....as soon as it is ''under load"".......almost only in 4th gear as i can tell,,,,,,,,any ideas right off the bat ???? I have heard that failing torque converters can do this while in ''lock up'' mode....sounds about right all considering........
You must understand something. Some Fords are designed and built in evil facilities by orks and trolls. They are sent out the doors by medicine men with curses.
I have a 1962 Falcon. My wife calls it "The Falcon From Hell" ! It has been rebuilt from radiator cap to gas cap. In some cases, several times, like the Ford-o-matic the engine and drive shaft. The latest fiasco is it hasn't been driven in over seven months because of a vibration. After removing the transmission for the fifth time I discovered the problem was of an oversight by the converter people ( three rebuilding companies ) I found the problem.The ring gear on the converter was cut wrong and the bendix on the starter was stuck on the ring gear and when the car was driven it vibrated like hell. Wierd problems like this kind of crap have been going on for years. Not only that but the Falcon has infected several other vehicles I own.
Parts are also becoming quite a problem as well, and those that are made in China are nothing but crap, like two condensers D.O.A..!
I would get rid of the damn thing except as you may have guessed I've got a ton of money in it Both my brother and my wife are convinced I should take the loss and put about six bullit holes in it, throw gasoline on it and burn it to the gound.
I apologise for not helping you with your problem.
I strongly recomend you dispose of the T-bird before it infects any other vehicles you might have , like lawn mowers, P.U's, motorcycles etc. One other thing you might consider is to find a reputal medicineman and have him attempt an exsorsym, although if it don't work, it could end up as a waist of money and could expose your loved ones to more danger.
Good luck finding your problem. I hope you don't have to "field strip" it like I have had to do with mine -- several times!
Walt

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might check? The transmission fluid could be coming from the transmission over flow, over filled blow by tube. Find out from a Ford dealer, if you have the correct transmission dip stick? This happened to me in my Mustang,1970 MACH I CobraJet 428 Ram Air, with heavy duty Cruse-O-matic. It blew fluid all over road, from the over flow at 50-60 mph range, after warm up. The dip stick kept reading full, or quort low. I took it back to dealership, for warranty. They found it was the wrong (too short) Dip stick. You might be over filling the transmission, according to the dip stick reading?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might check? The transmission fluid could be coming from the transmission over flow, over filled blow by tube. Find out from a Ford dealer, if you have the correct transmission dip stick? This happened to me in my Mustang,1970 MACH I CobraJet 428 Ram Air, with heavy duty Cruse-O-matic. It blew fluid all over road, from the over flow at 50-60 mph range, after warm up. The dip stick kept reading full, or quort low. I took it back to dealership, for warranty. They found it was the wrong (too short) Dip stick. You might be over filling the transmission, according to the dip stick reading?
it has not leaked the 1st 10 000 miles i have had it so, i doubt it..just started last year..never added fluid before that ,,,was always ''on the line ''.....but thanks !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so got all u-joints and motor mounts checked....nothing ! Had the diff oil changed and brought it home, going to try it today or tomorrow on highway to see if that helped at all........i have heard that very bad gear oil could cause vibration / humming, etc...will update !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts