Ford Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know much about rear wheel drive vehicles. But when the car is on all 4 wheels on the ground. I push the back left tire and wobble it and it makes a clunking noise like if a bearing is shot but I'm not to sure. I've been having trouble with getting this vehicle to steer properly at 60mph or higher. Feels shaky at certain speeds on the highway and if I don't keep my hands on the steering wheel it decides to pull really hard to the right than it'll pull back to the left depending on the wind conditions. Any ideas? It happens on both back wheels by the way.

·
Super Moderator
1,441 Posts
Most likely normal in and out play of the rear axle shafts. These cars are known to have issues with getting a good alignment. I’m pretty sure you had a bunch of front suspension work, correct me if I’m wrong, you’ll need to go somewhere that deals with these cars. Do you have any play in the steering wheel at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely normal in and out play of the rear axle shafts. These cars are known to have issues with getting a good alignment. I’m pretty sure you had a bunch of front suspension work, correct me if I’m wrong, you’ll need to go somewhere that deals with these cars. Do you have any play in the steering wheel at all?

Steering wheel has a bunch of play on highway or certain grooves in the road. I replaced sway bar bushings, Sway bar linkages, Idler control arm on the front end. Kinda looking for options myself to do it myself instead of taking it to a shop. Don't really have the money to pay a shop at the moment. You think its the rear axle shaft? Its a really loud clunking noise when i use momentum to push the wheel at 12 o clock and 6 o clock position . Almost sounds like my hub is hitting something.

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
201 Posts
Steering wheel has a bunch of play on highway or certain grooves in the road. I replaced sway bar bushings, Sway bar linkages, Idler control arm on the front end. Kinda looking for options myself to do it myself instead of taking it to a shop. Don't really have the money to pay a shop at the moment. You think its the rear axle shaft? Its a really loud clunking noise when i use momentum to push the wheel at 12 o clock and 6 o clock position . Almost sounds like my hub is hitting something.
You can do a pretty good job adjusting tow in and tow out by using a string. With the steering wheel centered, get a bright colored nylon string and wrap it around the back tires about a foot high. Let the string extend past the front of the car a ways on both sides and stretch it tight. Keep the string as high as you can and not touch the body of the car. Gradually shove the string over with a bucket or something until it barely touches the front tires. When it barely touches the rear of the front tires there should be about one sixteenth of an inch gap between the string and the front of the front tire. Basically that gives you about one sixteenth of an inch tow in. You adjust it by loosening the clamps on the pipe connecting the inner and outer tie rods and turning it. Drive a chisel into the gaps of the clamp to spread them a little or it might be really hard to turn. I have done this in the past after replacing tie rod ends and the car drove perfectly, however it is not going to drive all that good if you still have worn out steering parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,441 Posts
There are so many joints in the front end of these cars that can cause excessive play in the steering it’s not even funny. I’d suggest checking the ball joints, pitman arm, tie rods and drag link for play too.

The play in the rear axle is it in and out or up and down?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are so many joints in the front end of these cars that can cause excessive play in the steering it’s not even funny. I’d suggest checking the ball joints, pitman arm, tie rods and drag link for play too.

The play in the rear axle is it in and out or up and down?

Rear axle play is up and down.

·
Super Moderator
1,441 Posts
That’s not good then. In and out is normal but up and down means a bearing is bad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s not good then. In and out is normal but up and down means a bearing is bad.

I might be wrong actually. But when i push the top of the tire an get momentum going, it goes in an out like you said. You said that's normal? Almost sounds like the hub is hitting straight metal.

·
Super Moderator
1,441 Posts
Put it up on jack stands and check to be absolutely sure. But yes a little bit of in and out play is normal. And they will thud when moving in and out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts