Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 Explorers driver side door will not unlock. I went in to the store to grab something and when I came back out it would not unlock. I have power locks and when I press the button it looks like it’s trying to come up but just won't. I tried using the key and the unlock button and then also pulling the handle from the inside. Nothing works. And I can't get the panel off to see what’s up with the door closed. I also tried to use a slim jim to try to open it and that didn't work either. And ideas on what I can do to get that door open?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have manual windows, the door panel won't come off till you remove the window crank. There's a special tool at the parts store to remove them, or look online for ways to do it with a rag or other improvised method. There are probably a few substantial screws holding the door trim on, probably behind the inside door handles You may need to remove some plastic caps or trim pieces to access the screws. The perimeter edge of the door trim is probably held in with body snaps, this is pretty standard Ford interior construction, but it may vary a little bit.

Once the door trim is off I'd try WD-40ing the lock assembly and solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL I wish it was that easy. But see the problem is the door will not unlock. So I can not open the door to take the panel off. See what I'm saying? :hy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
is it one of those rounded plunger type locks that ducks just a little inside the door? If so, try using a dremel or file to notch it, then use a flat-head screwdriver to unscrew the lock nub. You could then put a taller power lock pin on there to unlock it with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I too have the same problem . I think its because of wear. I have ordered a new handle so I hope this takes care of it. If you found the cause or the remedy I would sure appreiacate a heads up on how to fix this
regards John:driver:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts