Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here just purchased a 1998 Lincoln navigator my first "ford"

I have owned the car just a few days and have some concerns. I have done my research before writing this but I just want some clarification.

Well, as mentioned, its a 1998 Lincoln navigator with the ford 5.4 engine. The car drives really well, 88k original miles on the clock. Imported to Sweden from the USA.
The first thing I noticed was a big amount of creamy foam/sludge built up in the oil filler neck and oil cap. I cleaned it off and it was back after a day or so (though not as bad as when I first cleaned it off) beyond the filler neck looking into the engine, the oil is golden brown and the cam lobe is shiny and free of rust spots. The oil dipstick shows no signs of coolant or foam, just golden brown oil. It doesn't seem to be using any coolant (level is the same as when I bought the the car). No white smoke from the exhaust, only condensation when the engine is cold. When its fully up to temperature there are no vapors or smoke coming from the exhaust when idling or revving. It is getting quite cold now here in Sweden, Having mornings of less than 0 degrees Celsius and I only drive it to work and back. 5 miles each way give or take. It is building up at quite a rapid rate however, I cleaned it off today and let the car idle for around 20 mins, during this time the white creamy stuff was beginning to form again. Now to the next part!!

I have read about these engines leaking oil from the head gaskets (unfortunate form me after purchasing). I'm getting a substantial leak from the passenger side cylinder bank, it seems to be coming from the front of the engine, (where the accessory belt is located) and is dripping down onto.. basically everything on the lower passenger side. The Passenger side suspension coil is covered in oil as well as what I believe is the AC compressor. There's even some oil on the inside of the wheel and Tyre. It only seems to leak when the engine is running and for a few moments after the engine is turned off. I am not sure, but I think its coming from the front corner of the valve cover gasket. The starter motor is completely dry all around and its not leaking onto the exhaust manifold as i don't smell any burnt oil.

Anyhow, ill post a few pics of the oil leak and where it seems to be coming from. Any input will be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
19,453 Posts
Every possibility the emulsification of oil you are getting is just normal condensation , especially if no coolant loss , the cold climate and been used for short trips . A block test will confirm or not . Better to change the oil and filter if test proves o.k .and check the PCV valve and hose .The oil leak will need cleaning the area of the engine and defining exactly where it's coming from .Many possible causes i.e ,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every possibility the emulsification of oil you are getting is just normal condensation , especially if no coolant loss , the cold climate and been used for short trips . A block test will confirm or not . Better to change the oil and filter if test proves o.k .and check the PCV valve and hose .The oil leak will need cleaning the area of the engine and defining exactly where it's coming from .Many possible causes i.e ,

Thanks from the response. The PCV hose and valve looks to be held together with black tape lol. I suppose if the PCV is blocked that could cause the oil leak and also moisture build up? A new PCV and hose stopped the oil leak on my 1988 caprice :)

·
Super Moderator
19,453 Posts
If the crankcase is not venting properly you get excessive pressure build up which can be the cause of oil leaks and sludge build up . Hope that's all it is and not something else .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the crankcase is not venting properly you get excessive pressure build up which can be the cause of oil leaks and sludge build up . Hope that's all it is and not something else .
The PCV pipe was kinked and had quite abit of buildup in it. I replaced the pipe and now the oil leak is next to none. Took it on a 45 min trip and there was no creamy sludge in the oil cap and neck! So all seems to be good. Just a question I can’t seem to find info on, what rear end is in these vehicles? It’s not a 4wd model. Does it have a posi trac diff? Or how can I find out? I can’t lift the rear high enough to spin the wheels lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts