Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC-For several months I have been experiencing a slight bucking between 35-40 mph, and rough idle when I'm stopped at a traffic light. The first time I noticed was in June, I felt it buck and the check engine light blinked for about 40 seconds. I took it to several places and no one could come up with a code. Last week the check engine light blinked again but only for a few seconds and the slight bucking, a friend suggested it might be a transmission problem so I took it to the shop and again, no code. This week it seems to be getting progressively worse. When I start it in the morning it idles high then drops low, and sometimes stalls, stalled a few times as I was pulling to a stop. I took it to the shop again and the only code we got was P1812 - see manual. I looked this up online and read "P1812 Transmission 4-wheel drive mode selector circuit failure." I don't use the 4-wheel in it, but can this be the cause of my bucking and rough idle problem? I'm taking it back to the shop in the morning and I would like to be somewhat informed on what this means.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**Update**
My "wanna be mechanic" friend was "looking for a vacuum leak. I was standing in front of the vehicle with the hood open and did hear something that sounded like a possible leak, but he said he didn't see anything. I took it to Gibraltar Transmissions today. They told me the motor for the 4 wheel drive is bad. I can't locate the part anywhere but the dealership for $383.23.
Could this be the cause of the "Transmission 4-wheel drive mode selector circuit failure", rough idle and check engine light?
I would hate to go forward with this repair and not fix the problem. At the very least I'll have the shop check for a vacuum leak.

This is the input I've gotten so far:
"It is possible the motor is out. It should not cause a rough idle though. If the P1812 is the only code stored, then that is why the check engine light is on. You may want to have the codes read again to be sure there are no other codes in it.The test for the code is long and detailed. If they determined the motor has input to it and it is not responding, the motor is probably bad. For the vacuum leak, check the PCV hose closely. They are bad about getting holes in them."

Any other opinions here?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
JerseyGRL1970
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing