2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone, I have a

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L 6 Cylinder Automatic

It currently does not crank, or start.

I have replaced the
Battery
Battery Terminal Connectors
Fuses (they were all good, but I replaced all of them anyways)
Starter & Starter Solenoid

When I put my key into the on position, Everything is normal for the most part, BUT my
CHECK ENGINE light is ON and my
BATTERY light is ON.

Same thing when I try to start the truck.

I used an OBD-II scanner and it came up with nothing.

All my lights, wipers, speaker, horn, and radio WORKS.

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong with this truck?

·
2002 F150 XLT
11,026 Posts
Try switching the starter relay with the A/C relay to see if that works. Look in your owners manual for the location under the hood. You can read one online here. Pages 139 and 140.

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
In addition to what Bert said, try starting in other gears to rule out the mlps (range sensor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,169 Posts
Check ALL earth / ground wires . This is all I can find just now on locations for that year .

There are 6 locations to check though
Battery negative terminal, never assume, physically examine
Starter motor bolt, this should be the other end of the battery cable
Head to firewall ground strap, computer and dash ground
Block to Frame ground strap, tail light ground, also fuel pump/gauge in some
Battery to Rad support, usually a smaller 2nd wire on battery terminal, this is for head lights.
Rad support to fender well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Bert, all my relays were tested by moving them around multiple times, and didn't make any difference,
I'll be checking the gears tomorrow, or later today, but @R.S.LOGAN how wouldI check the ground? I've never had to do anything with wiring before.

·
Super Moderator
19,169 Posts
@Bert, all my relays were tested by moving them around multiple times, and didn't make any difference,
I'll be checking the gears tomorrow, or later today, but @R.S.LOGAN how wouldI check the ground? I've never had to do anything with wiring before.
Case of checking they are clean and tight / good connection . Take it you can move gear selector out of Park ? If not it might indicate interlock shift solenoid which works in conjunction with the brake light switch and neutral safety switch could be at fault .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts