Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 PGT has never given me any real problems. Just routine maintenance, brake jobs, etc. Now, 2 things have started all at once.

First the big one. Sometimes you turn the key on and it will crank and crank and not start. Go back in 5 minutes and it starts like a dream. Start and stop for days, even a week with no problems, then suddenly, crank, crank, but no start. Leave the car and come back in 10 minutes and it starts like nothing wrong. This does seem to happen more if the car is cold.

Number 2. I have the factory stereo with the in dash cd player. The time is also shown on the radio display. Every few days when I start the car, the radio shows 12:00, and the radio comes on to AM frequency 600. The presets still work, but the bass and treble settings go back to the midpoint defaults. Sometimes days go by and the clock holds the time, then, at other times, it goes back to 12:00 several times in one day.

Both seem to be electrical problems. I just can't figure out if they are related. I replaced the positive battery terminal as it was pretty corroded. The negative one looked good so I just cleaned it. No fuses have ever blown, and no prior electrical problems or work has been done. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my Mustangs. Mine was that one of my battery wires was jacked up... Try following those from the terminal to where they lead and make sure they are connected good and not dry rotted out...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright man i know what your talking about on the first thing about the starting, it happen to me. You have a stator/distibutor problem. I had it about 3 months ago. Let me tell you it isnt cheap. Luckly i have a warranty on my car. When it went out on my car, there just enough left on the part to start once and awhile and then die about 5 mins later and not start the rest of them day, well in this process it burned out my fuel pump also. I took my car to ford and had the fuel pump fixed thinking that was it, well it wasnt i found out after i pulled out. The stator part alone was 1,000 dollars and now my car runs really good. So thats your problem your stator/distibutor has gone. But i dont know anything about the second one. Any question just ask me
Good Luck

·
Probe GT Member
18 Posts
i agree

ProbeBaller94 said:
Alright man i know what your talking about on the first thing about the starting, it happen to me. You have a stator/distibutor problem. I had it about 3 months ago. Let me tell you it isnt cheap. Luckly i have a warranty on my car. When it went out on my car, there just enough left on the part to start once and awhile and then die about 5 mins later and not start the rest of them day, well in this process it burned out my fuel pump also. I took my car to ford and had the fuel pump fixed thinking that was it, well it wasnt i found out after i pulled out. The stator part alone was 1,000 dollars and now my car runs really good. So thats your problem your stator/distibutor has gone. But i dont know anything about the second one. Any question just ask me
Good Luck

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
FWIW, The Ignitor in the distributor was redesigned in 95...so unless you were really unlucky and got a 94 disty, that may not be your problem. Is the car under any kind of load when it quits? When mine went out, it was any time I was really on it at first. Freeway on ramps, passing, etc. It got to the point that if I would drive the car over 3Krpm's it would die on me. So if that's aboot what's going on, you have to get a new Ignitor...

...which you can only get now with a whole new distributor. Good news is that if you go to a Mazda dealer you should only have to pay ~$300 for the disty, instead of going to Ford and getting hosed for $1,000+.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a 95. I don't think it has a distributor as such. The spark plug wires come out of a box on the front driver's side of the engine, just in front of the fan. I didn't think there were any moving parts or distributor cap to replace. Are you saying that mechanism is the igniter? By the way..on my car never dies once it starts, it just sometimes cranks and cranks, but won't start...then a few minutes later it starts. Either not getting spark or not getting gas.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
That's the problem. It looks like a disty cap & I believe there are moving parts within--my 95 had exactly the same problem, it turned out the arcing inside from worn parts burned a hole through the bottom of the casing. When it was cold (thus a little more damp/humid) & caused starting problems. I had that replaced & it's been perfect since then.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe...Maybe not

You have 2 problems, however one springs from the other.

1) Check your cranshaft position sensor connector. Follow the leads up from the sensor itself (passenger side, firewall side of engine) until it mates to a connector in the vicintity of the thermostat (I believe). The male pins in the connector are notorious for loosing contact intermittantly with the female sockets. The fix is to put a slight twist (10-15 degrees) on the male pins so they engage the female sockets tighter.

2) The CD thing is I believe, as a result of the constant cranking when the engine fails to start. The voltage sensor in the head unit sees the low voltage from cranking and disconnects itself electronically. This is a failsafe like a cell phone that displays the low battery mesage and then finally shuts itself off.

Just my $2c

1 - 8 of 8 Posts