Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm prepping a bonnet to be sprayed in black 2-Pack. Its currently got about 5 layers of old paint on it including a respray thats probably a 10 year old backyard job. I've heard that 2-pack will cause the acrylic to blister, can I use a base coat primer or something to stop this happening or do I need to strip her back to bare metal?

·
Registered
812 Posts
You can use a special basecoat but we have never used it, if I was doing it I would strip the bonnet, gets rid of anything that can go wrong

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you can tell the bonnet has benn sprayed several times then IMO you're asking for trouble spraying over the top of it. The worst thing is doing a good spray job over shit then having crows feet pop up all over a year later.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise, whats the best way to strip it. I've heard brake fluid or paint strippers can leave a residue thats very hard to completly clean off resulting in a botched paint job.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Paint stripper always leaves a bit of gunk but it you get the proper stuff from an automotive paint shop it should nearly strip it all off in one go.

You can get it blasted but the newer cars tend to have thinner panels which makes it very much really on operator skill especially bonnet and large panels.

The blasting would cost more but is quicker and saves burnt skin.

·
Registered
171 Posts
go to a bead blaster more expensive but alot quicker. it will take you years with paint stripper especially if the bonnet has had a few paint jobs. bead blasting won't warp the pannels cause it ain't as hot as sand blasting. you should be looking at between $90 to $100 per pannel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts