Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Miss Fairmont99
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing up a 1979 XD, and I want to put an XE front bumper on it.
The mountings fit perfectly, however there is a HUGE gap in the front under the headlights, where the XD bumper had a lip that covered it.
Would I be better off finding a kit to put on the original bumper, or is there a way to modify the XE bumper? I've seen it done, and someone suggested plastic welding, then I was told that is not possible. Any ideas?

Pics of my project are here: http://au.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph...=http://au.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/misra_belle

Secondly, I was told that Blueprint is being discontinued on the FPV vehicles.
Is there any truth to that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My brother is doing up an XD ESP 351 .I had an XE wagan which he was going to take the frount guards off to use on the XD but we have found they are diferent .The whole frount end is slighty differnt .What I suggest to you is to change the whole frount end to XE which my brother will end up doing .But for his car it has a buit of frount end damage and has to replace the bonnent and bumper in any case.But if you want to keep it looking like the XD keep the XD bumper.

·
Miss Fairmont99
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment, I'm keeping the XD guards, grille and headlights, as I don't particularly like the look of the XE front.
I only really like the bumper as it looks more aggressive.
Like I said, everything else fits at the front mounting points, and the wheel arches, just the 2 inch gap in the front.
I have been mucking around with inserts to put in to cover it, but as the bumper is plastic it will damage the paint if I join anything else to it.
This is the last thing I have to fix before I start rubbing down the body to spray it, which I am really looking forward to, so I'm really frustrated with it.
The only other issue is the corners of the bumper and the corners of the blinkers don't totally match up, but I can live with that. You won't notice when it is finished.
I'm planning on changing the colour from the original Yellow, to Blueprint as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mmmm maybe you can try to extend the grille Maybe you could join an L shape strip of plastic or alloy to the underside of the last louver of the grill

·
Finnaly back
1,124 Posts
there was a site with a guy that modded one to fit, cant remember the address, but I f I find it Ill reply

·
Miss Fairmont99
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts