Ford Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wet test only brought it up to 80 lbs. When I brought it back from the shop I noticed it wasn't vibrating when I applied the gas pedal like it did before, so I assume the oil test freed up the rings. I've driven it about 10 miles since with it still not shaking. Previously it was very annoying and I had to push the gas down quite a bit to get any performance out of it. It still idles rough at stop lights with a surge every 10 seconds or so.
My question - Is there any purpose in putting an additive in my motor oil to see if a further improvement occurs, or is the fact it didn't go above 80 the definitive proof that this vehicle needs to go to the junk yard?

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
I have never had much luck with additives. However, there is not much to lose, and additives might be a cheap fix for a while if you are lucky. But, if the body and trans are good, the real fix is a long block. If not, then it's new truck time. Stand by for sticker shock!

·
Super Moderator
1,715 Posts
I agree with above.

Ford had some issues with the 3v head, particularly the rockers/lash adjusters. They can move and cause the valve to hang open and contact the piston. If you’re willing to put more effort into it I’d pull at least the valve cover and check the lash adjusters on that cylinder. But yeah it might be time for a new engine. You might get lucky and be able to only replace the head but it depends on what’s damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.