Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New member here. I joined b/c I recently had to bring a 2000 Expedition back into operation after having sat in a garage for 4 yrs; first Ford I've ever had. Vehicle stumbles badly when you need to hit the throttle from a stop or while driving. It does not accelerate as it should. The engine revs and RPMs go up but will not shift into appropriate gear and slowly struggles up to speed sometimes jerking in the process. Worst spot seems to be 3rd to 4th gear transition, and when having to hit it hard. Vehicle idles nicely, engine responds very well to throttle while in park, it will get up to hwy speed just fine as long as you slowly build up to it.
Age-appropriate wear on hoses/lines, especially fuel/vacuum related lines. I have done the following so far with slightly above average tools/aptitude but I need help from those who know what they're doing:
*cleaned MAF and throttle body, new air filter, new fuel filter
*reset PCM (battery jumper method), did the KOEO x3 method of re-training TPS, only have driven about 25 miles since resetting both (maybe not enough drive cycle yet?)
*replaced all crumbling vacuum/PCV lines I could see/get to, fuel filler hose was seeping gas (replaced). PCVs intact.
*OBD readings while idling looked good based on what little I know and how to really read those things.
*water method to try to find vacuum leak, no luck

While driving the vehicle in between new parts, I did notice a thump or pop under the hood a few times when I was in the 'bad zone' trying to accelerate while it was bogging. Couldn't find anything visibly broken/loose after the noise.

Sorry for the verbose thread, I'm sure there are more details I need to provide but thought I'd stop here. Any suggestions anyone has would be welcome and appreciated. I am not ready to take it in the a** yet and bring it to the shop.

freeze frame data as follows:
freeze frame 1.jpg
freeze frame 2.jpg

Help!

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
You could try the poor mans smoke machine, light a cigar and blow the smoke into a vacuum line. It would seem there is a vacuum leak based on the freeze frame data so you’ll have to pinpoint that. Also I would suggest starting with the basics and perform a compression test and a vacuum test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks 85ltdcrownvic!!! I'll give it a whack and let you know the outcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts