Ford Forums banner

2000 Ford Expedition Electrial issue

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Hey Folks! So i am having a bit of a issue that seems to have poped up over night. today i opened the door or my 2000 ford expedition and the radio was on. it had drained the battery over night and killed it. jumped the truck and it works fine but when i turn the car off radio stays on, odometer (along with other instruments in cluster jump around) and if i turn on wind shield wipers those also stay on (interior lights are all off.). i checked the drivers ajar sensor and it is working right dings when opened doesnt when closed. For the life of me i have 0 idea what is going on any ideas or suggestions before i bring her into the shop.

#4 ·
Maybe the ignition switch is faulty. Try jiggling it when removing the key. Im thinking its getting stuck in acc. My crown vic would keep beeping like I left the key in the ignition unless I moved the switch a little bit with the key out. One day I removed the ignition cylinder, cleaned it and then put it back in and all has been well since.

Reactions: Bert
#5 ·
Could check this out , if not that , check for a parasitic drain .

After some online research, I think I may have this problem figured out. From what I have read this is a common problem for expeditions, excursions and F-series trucks. The windshield seals are prone to leaking, allowing water to run down the A- pillar shorting out the GEM module and the fuse block. If caught early enough serious damage might be avoided by resealing the windshield. If not the Gem module and/or the fuse block will become corroded internally and require replacement. If anyone has any experience with this and has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Does anyone have any tips for resealing a windshield? I have never done it.

and

I had this happen to me after Hurricaine Rita. I believe water came in the windshield and got into either the PCM or the fuse box. The car was doing crazy stuff when it was off. It caused a battery drain and then some dash lights would stay on and the odometer would read or read only dashed, even with the key out of the ignition. I read about the windshield leak issue so to test it I managed to get the truck in the garage, disconnected the battery and then I put a electric heater on the floor on the driver's side so that the hot air (had heater on 750wats so not too hot) got up into the fuse box area. I left the windows down about 2 in all 4 windows. I wanted it warm in there but wanted moisture to be able to get out. I ran heater for 12 hours, went out, reconnected the battery and now car is running and acting normally for 1st time on a week. I will now get the windshield resealed. I think that will do it.

#6 ·
So i found some articles about how the GEM Can get wet from a leak in the windshield and cause it to short causing these issues. we let her dry out for a day and put it all back together and now it works fine so ima find a way to seal any leaks and get her back running. thanks for the help tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.