Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Last week the head gasket blew on our 2000 Ford F150. My boyfriend uses this as his work truck, and since he obviously cannot dive it, he is driving our Mazda which is way too low to be carrying construction materials.

ANYWAYS... We have yet to tear open the engine to see how bad the damage is, but we have been offered a 4.6 liter to swap with decent mileage, and I am finding zilch in regards to if this would even work. I am not sure what vehicle the other engine would be coming from, so if that makes a difference, sorry.

Would this work?? The truck currently has a 4.2 liter in it. I am really just trying to help him get this figured out. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
With enough knowledge, money and time it can be done. It will definitely not be plug and play.

A little advice, if he wants a v8 work truck then sell what he’s got and buy what he wants. It’ll be less of a headache in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can swap it, but you're going to need to swap a lot of other parts along with it. Wiring, PCM, etc.

It would be a pretty involved process. It is not worth spending the time and money to do it. Get another 4.2L or buy another work truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
You would get peanuts selling a truck that year with a knackered engine .To repair it could end up a money pit dependant on findings on strip down Take 52 Fords advice

·
Registered
28 Posts
And just to be clear, I was looking at swapping a 2V 4.6L for a 5.4L out of a Lightning a few years ago. I know what's involved and it's a substantial amount of work. I'm not trying to be pessimistic. Ended buying a new 4.6L. If it's in budget and the truck is in good shape, a reman motor is a good idea. I haven't worked on a 4.2L, but those V8s are really packed in there tight and a engine swap isn't real easy - I wouldn't want to get the engine in and find out it's only going to last a couple years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts