Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford F150 from 2000, with a 4.6l engine and two wheel drive. It has an engine with only 80,000 mi on it. When starting up after being off for an hour, a ticking can be heard from the car. It starts off quiet, slowly growing louder. After a minute, the tick completely vanishes. After a few seconds it can be heard starting again, growing louder and then shutting off, quicker this time. It repeats this process with the duration of the tick growing shorter and shorter. Eventually it goes away and cant be heard til the car sits for a while.

I was wondering if anyone knows what this ticking sound is? When the hood is open, it sounds like its coming from behind the drivers side front tire. I don't know what kind of thing could be causing it. Its extremely confusing because of the fact that it stops abruptly, then comes back.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
Get a mechanics stethescope and poke around while it’s making the noise is my only advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,536 Posts
Try changing engine oil and filter in case it is a slow circulation problem , especially if not been done for a while . Use a good oil and make of filter if so .

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Be aware that clean oil is especially vital to your engine. Not only does it have hydraulic valve lifters (most likely the sound you are hearing) but the cam chain tensioners depend on clean oil to maintain proper chain tension. A slipped cam chain could result in complete engine destruction. 4.6 engines will easily go 200,000 miles and beyond with just oil and plug changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Ford F150 from 2000, with a 4.6l engine and two wheel drive. It has an engine with only 80,000 mi on it. When starting up after being off for an hour, a ticking can be heard from the car. It starts off quiet, slowly growing louder. After a minute, the tick completely vanishes. After a few seconds it can be heard starting again, growing louder and then shutting off, quicker this time. It repeats this process with the duration of the tick growing shorter and shorter. Eventually it goes away and cant be heard til the car sits for a while.

I was wondering if anyone knows what this ticking sound is? When the hood is open, it sounds like its coming from behind the drivers side front tire. I don't know what kind of thing could be causing it. Its extremely confusing because of the fact that it stops abruptly, then comes back.

Thank you
Try a new oil pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thank you
It also could be a worn timing chain tensioner, a worn timing chain gear at the cam, a leaking exhaust maniffold, or an exhaust leak at a spark plug. Check the last two first, then call a ford dealership or look online and see if there is a service bulletin on the noise. Get an engine stethoscope, and try to find where the noise is loudest. If all else fails, bring it to a dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts