Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recentlty bought a 2000 Grand Marquis with he handling package. When I bought the car the window sticker claimed 18 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. I have taken it on two long highway trips recently and the best I could do was about 18 mpg. Is this normal? Since I have owned the car, I noticed that when the car is in overdrive between 35 to 50 mph and I give it gas to accelerate but don't give it enough for the car to downsift the car will buck slightly until I make it down shift. Could these two issues be related? I have read that the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor and Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor are occasional problems with these cars. I am wondering if either of those sensors could be failing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has 48K miles on it. I am hesitant to take it back to the dealership to be looked at. I don't want to spend lots of time and money having them take a stab at diagnosing the problem only to come up with nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar car to yours. It will punish me if I am a lead foot.

Recently my car started loosing MPG (~2MPG) in both City and Highway driving. I ran some fuel injector cleaner through it and replace the air filter and things are back to normal. I am back up to 24 consistently at 80MPH steady state. I still haven't beat the 25.4MPG I routinely got when it was just a year old though. City mileage runs about 22.8MPG again like it should in mixed use driving (stop and go and steady 45MPH).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts