Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help!! I have a 2000 Mountaineer 5 0 AWD that needs some assistance. Motor has 60k on it and tranny has around 20k on the rebuild. Last year it developed a constant knocking when rolling. I changed both front CV's and the knocking didn't go away. I then changed the bearing on the front driveshaft and it went away. Now it's making a loud clicking noise from the front end but only after it gets warmed up. It's okay in town for short distances but not for a long haul of any sorts. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
I'm assuming only when in motion?
Low speds, highway speeds? Does it do it if you turn the wheel by hand when it's jacked up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only in motion and after it's warmed up. Doesn't do it off the ground spinning it by hand

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
Bear in mind I'm playing blindfolded darts here, so some questions may sound like I'm insulting your intelligence. Just trying to get a feel for this.
Do you feel it in your steering?
Have you checked your engine and transmission mounts?
Have you checked your exhaust hangers and mounts?
Any pulling during braking?
Have you considered pulling your valve covers?
Consider using an endoscope through your spark plug holes? (you can pick one up as an Android attachment for about 20 bucks these days).

There's a lot of parts that can make a noise from the A pillar forward. If there's no other symptom and your mounts are good, an endoscope and a peak under the valve covers can at least have you breathing easier about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exhaust hangers are good. Steering is good. Could it be low on gear lube? It only does it after it's warmed up. CV axles are less than a year old and all new brakes and rotors. Wheel bearings are good too.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
I would expect more of a whining sound, but it's worth a check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts