Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I promised my wife I would add factory fog lights to her car. I found them brand new, wiring is already installed, but what else do I need to do to get them to work? Does the headlight switch control them or is there another switch just for them? Fuses, relays? I've looked into the switches and no one has a fog light switch listed, just 2 different headlight switches; one with fog lights and one without. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They intentionally leave big pieces of the system missing so that you pay them to install it. Need the other headlight switch to do it the factory way, and switch expensive enough ($50+) that I at least just simply installed a toggle switch under dash and ran my own wiring to make it simpler and cheaper. I DID loop the circuit through my fogless light switch to have that override the toggle so I could not accidentally leave them on when leaving the car. Did that by taking an extra relay coil power off the headlight relay in battery fusebox to my switch then to a new relay coil and patched in main battery power through an add-on fuse into the new relay big circuit, all parts there in the battery fusebox IIRC. Cost me some wire and fuse setup+relay+toggle switch. Nothing really as I already had them lying around.

The headlight switch IS the foglight switch on the OEM setup. Why there are two different ones.

On a Contour many years ago, it still works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get the switch cheap from the salvage yard, so thats not a problem. I just need to know the rest of the parts missing. Would rather not have to run an aftermarket setup.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
After the switch, should be just waire, lights, and brackets, and maybe a fuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the fuse is easy. Any idea where the relay is located? The manual doesn't show it. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought that as well, however according to her manual listed under Auxiliary Relays (outside of fusebox) "R22 Foglamps Wire shield on instrument panel". Huh? I have never even heard of that in all the yesrs I have worked on cars. I may make a call to Ford as I also need the relay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, does anyone know if these cars have daytime running lights? They have a spot for a fuse for it, but nothing else listed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
...................and now you are beginning to realize why I said what I did......one day, using 30 minutes, and done. OEM or aftermarket matters not, all that counts is the job done right and bulletproof...............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts