Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i really didn't want to co as far as creating a thread but I seriously need some help. I have a 2000 Sable with the 3.0 Duratec DOHC and 110k miles. For some reason when the engine is cold it won't idle. I start the car and the rpms go to about 1200 then drop down to about 8-900 after a few seconds but it still will idle kind of rough. After about a minute the car will just die like i turned the key off. Funny thing is if I hold the throttle for a few mins till the car gets warm it's fine. I had it scanned and it gave me a couple o2 codes showing lean on bank one and bank two as well as an evap code (not sure of the exact numbers). I read somewhere that the coolant temp sensor could cause this so I replaced the sensor but not the sender as the gauge seems to be working fine. I don't want to go into replacing multiple sensors which can lead to a lot of money or take it somewhere for them to just start replacing random things. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP???

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak or dirty/faulty maf, though Ive never seen it to the point where it wont idle. One simple test you can perform is unplugging the maf and starting the car to see if it will stall or keep running.

Another possibility is clogged cats.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Have it scanned, a running scan may prove an issue with either the IAC or the TPS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can hear something kind of makinmaking a sucking sound in behind the throttle body but can t pinpoint where it's at. I have checked all the hoses that I can see but can t find any leaks. This is getting very frusfrating.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
It's 17 years old, if the hoses are original (or at least over 5 years old) replace them. It rules out any questions and hoses aren't that expensive. I've seen hoes that look pristine, but when you go to pull them off, they crumble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
CatSkinner
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing