Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2-2001 Fords (Explorer & F150). Both have "padlock" style removable plug in connectors as a link that serve as an ignition interrupter for anti theft. Does anyone know where replacements can be bought as one of mine has gone bad. I'm more than certain they are not programmable since they are interchangeable between vehicles and I bought both vehicles used from different owners.

·
Super Moderator
1,451 Posts
Most of those Chinese made plugs are dealer gimmicks. Unscrupulous dealers charge hundreds of dollars for the anti-theft device that costs them pennies. They can be "jumped" with a paperclip by most any 15-year-old auto thief. I was a guest on a local Los Angeles consumer program and exposed these for what they were worth and they seemed to disappear shortly thereafter. I have not seen them on the market for years. You can fix the problem by disconnecting the device and reconnecting the factory wiring under the dash. My (ex) dealer installed one on a new F350 just before I took possession of the truck. Beware, the dealer cut the factory harness too close to the plug, could not resplice the wire properly, and had to replace the wiring harness before I paid for the truck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts