1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is in the right section.
First time
Lots to learn
Im pulling the gearbox with the motor. Should I undo the power steering lines so they don’t get bent?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
I'm unfamiliar to your particular vehicle, but I've taken apart a lot of big things in my time. If has the chance of hanging you up, getting damaged, or places something in an unsafe situation, remove it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you recommend as the best piston ring compressing tool for this job?
I have the motor out, gear box off, head off, sump off. The oil pickup had so much crap in it, That was probably the tapping.

·
Administrator
5,292 Posts
If your engine was knocking and your pickup filter was blocked then you may have a bearing thats worn. Likely big end.

Not sure about ring compressor brands but you don't need anything too special for that.

Are you looking at a full engine recon?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes that's the plan/ I am having problems taking the filler bolt out of the gearbox. Ive rounded it, trying to get it off. I tried heat. I don't know if I should drill it. Any ideas, would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
Consider an easy-out? doesn't require as much drilling, just keep it centered in case you have to do full drill out.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
Yes; disconnect the power steering lines first. As for ring compressor I have several different types and find these wrinkle band type work well Amazon.com: AMPRO T75524 Wrinkle Band Ring Compressor : Automotive or Wrinkle Band Ring Compressor T&E Tools 4220 9322159024500 | eBay Use a self tightening pipe wrench tool like this or similar on the rounded off bolt 6pc-pk Quick Release Self Adjustable Pipe Wrench Super Shifter Option: 8"/10" | eBay But make sure you have a new replacement plug. Better probably a suitably sized Irwin boltgrip from Bunnings Irwin Bolt-Grip 6pc Impact Twist Socket Extractor Set 1/4" to 1/2" #1859143 | eBay or Irwin Bolt-Grip 6pc Impact Twist Socket Extractor Set 1/4" to 1/2" #1859143 | eBay or https://www.amazon.com.au/Irwin-Tools-Fastener-Remover-Expansion/dp/B000QW6K8I or this similar tool ToolPRO Bolt Extractor Socket Set 1/2" Drive 7 Piece or ToolPRO Bolt Extractor Socket Set 9 Piece

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I have a set of removal tools, which i have already tried, to no avail. Ill give the stillsons a go. I havent got a replacement plug, Not sure where to go for that. Everything is out, I'm down to the block. Getting quotes on machining etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After pulling the motor down, Ive found the water ports in the block are corroded a bit. Ill attach pics
Im looking at thousands to get these done, professionally. Head from the wreckers may be my best option. The block is my concern.
Light Automotive tire Red Rim Gas
Automotive tire Light Tire Wheel Helmet
Light Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

Hopefully you can see the depth by the pics. The second one isn't as bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
They'll be fine that fairly normal for old blocks and heads; just make sure you use a quality head gasket. The scoring in the top of the cylinder would concern me more; I assume you will hone them to the required cross-hatch pattern after first removing any ridges at the top of the bores with a ridge reamer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Ive never done either of those, but Ill give it a go.
Any links to the equipment ill need for the Ridge Reamer and the Honing tool?
Is this straight edge suitable for what I need?
And if the straight edge isn't suitable
Most of your links have been very helpful

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Administrator
5,292 Posts
That corrosion around the water galleries is normal. The holes in the head gasket are usually larger than the gallery so it corrodes a bit there. As Aussieblue said just be sure to use a good quality gasket.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
The Lisle Ridge Reamers on ebay and at various auto stores work well. Repco ( https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-equipment/automotive-tools/engine-drivetrain/repco-engine-cylinder-hone-60-175mm-rst142/p/A9417629?kwSearch=cylinder hone) and Supercheap (Toolpro - ToolPRO Engine Cylinder Hone Large ) sell their brand cylinder hones that work fine (Lisle also have them e.g. Lisle Stone Type Glaze Breaker Cylinder Honing Tool for 2-7" Dia Cylinders 23500 | eBay ). The T& E ball type (also available from Supercheap) e.g. Flexible Ball Cylinder Hone 180 Grit 3"- 2.3/4" (76mm - 70mm) T&E Tools FBH103-1 | eBay might also easier to use for the inexperienced. You will also finf lots of excellent You Tube video tutorials on honing a ridge reaming cylinders; watch a wide selection. You can also use a laser pointer aimed from the edge of the head and block do it creates a line across the surfaces as an alternative to a etal straight edge; the laser line will be discontinuous where it's not totally flat. It's also often easier to use in terms of access too.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I enjoy the challenge. Do you think this is doable with my lack of experience? Having said that, I have found a place that will face the head and block, plus hone the block at a reasonable price.
If I hone the block, will the pistons and rings you recommended be alright or do you think the machine shop is best?

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
I think you can do it yourself. The first time I did mine I had no prior experience and there was no such think as You Tube. The recommenced rings will be fine. But if you are being offered a good deal to have it done and it is all the work comes with a warranty (there will be a limited implied one under consumer law anyway) that's the safest option and worth considering.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hope this is easier

Vacuum Test Valves, Mill Cylinder Head and Check Hardness, straightness. $153.66
Dismantle and Assemble Cylinder Head $118.12
Clean Cylinder Head $80.86
Face Valve 12 $10.98
Cut Valve Seats 12 $10.97
Deck Block $111.72
Bore and hone cylinders $200.00
Workshop Supplies and Environmental Charge $10.00

1 - 20 of 74 Posts