Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Focus that is starting hard, runs extremely rough, stalls at idle, has the speedometer jumping from 0 to pegged at idle, has the radio getting really loud without touching the controls or turning off completely. Anyone have a clue on this behavior?

·
WINDSOR
6 Posts
I don't think the driveability concern is associated with the radio or the instrument cluster. Next time this symptom occurs try performing a wiggle test on connector #61... it is the connector that leads to both the radio and the SCM (speed control module). maybe there is a short in there somwhere and the voltage is making the modules go haywire. If you have a wiring diagram for the car just check that out and you will know what i mean. If i am correct the SCM feeds directly to the Instrument cluster. this could give you your false speed signal. If you know how to check for available voltages and voltage drops that could also give you alot of good information on what the systems are doing. Good luck, have fun

·
WINDSOR
6 Posts
oh and one more thing... alot of times if you have a bad ground it can feed back through the entire system until it finds a ground through another module or component when the systems are tied in together. check ground 63 and 43 .. both should be in the rear pillar on the passenger side. i have access to ford diagrams and this is what i came up with. hope it helps

·
Hi-Tech Redneck
1,486 Posts
matty_des is correct!
I found a Special Service message......................

16226 2000-2002 FOCUS - INTERMITTENT ERRATIC GAUGE SWEEP, CRANK NO START, HARD START, AND VARIOUS OTHER ELECTRICAL AND/OR DRIVEABILITY CONDITIONS
SOME 2000-2002 FOCUS MAY EXHIBIT A GROUND RELATED CONDITION WITH INTERMITTENT ERRATIC GAUGE SWEEP, CRANK NO START, HARD START, AND VARIOUS OTHER ELECTRICAL AND/OR DRIVEABILITY CONDITIONS. INSPECT GROUNDS G1/G24/G41/G54 AND G56 FOR LOOSENESS OR CORROSION. ALSO, CHECK FOR A VOLTAGE DROP ACROSS THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE TO BOTH THE ENGINE BLOCK AND CHASSIS. G1 IS LOCATED UNDERNEATH THE AIR CLEANER, G24 IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT HAND 'A' PILLAR (WIRING SCHEMATIC SECTION 700-06-00- 29 OR 30). G41 AND G56 ARE LOCATED AT THE FRONT RIGHT SIDE KICK PANEL INSIDE THE VEHICLE AND G54 IS LOCATED AT THE FUEL PUMP DRIVER MODULE RIGHT REAR UNDER THE SEAT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! As soon as I get the wiring diagrams I will inspect all the ground points and post back the results!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
bowie
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing