Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2001 ford windstar that runs and drives great. It has the abs light on, digital odometer doesnt show on the dash, message center states that most of the tests have failed, example fuel system check failed, brake system failed, ect the only test on the message center that comes back ok are that the lights work and doors are closed? our mentor scanner isnt bringing up any codes to research. does this sound like a pcm problem?

·
1,134 Posts
We have a 2001 ford windstar that runs and drives great. It has the abs light on, digital odometer doesnt show on the dash, message center states that most of the tests have failed, example fuel system check failed, brake system failed, ect the only test on the message center that comes back ok are that the lights work and doors are closed? our mentor scanner isnt bringing up any codes to research. does this sound like a pcm problem?
:hit::hit:
Hello and good day, and sorry for the delay in response:

NO I believe your PCM is working just find. I would lean lean toward a ABS Sensor gone bad. This little Gem is located near the Wheel Hub Assembly by your Disk/Drum Brakes. This also is related to the Odometer Function.

Have you taken this into a Trusted Auto Shop?? Have you had anyone look at this??

Please advise further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are a repair shop but this van is kicking our butts. So here is the rest of the story right after i bought the van the customer he told me that he had the cruise disconnected because he was afraid of some fire problem he read about online. So we reconnected the cruise wire plug and wow all these problems appeared istantly. we have replaced the cruise servo and disconnected it and neither has made a difference.
so you think that one of the wheel speed sensors could cause the odometer not to work and the message center to fail the test?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 99 windstar that i got for cheap because the speedometer and the odometer were not working. The fix was to replace #10 fuse (if i recall correctly) that was burned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2000 Windstar had the same symptoms and blown #10 (10amp) fuse in the panel by the hood release pull inside the car- Others have mentioned the cruise control disconnect switch hanging off the bottom of the master cylinder might be shorting or shorting to ground- it is NC and should open when pressing brake pedal- there was a recall for this, mine had already been replaced and had the 5-6 inch long fused adapter cable to allow the new switch to work with the old harness..the switch measured nothing abnormal though the adapter cable fuse was blown so this was disconnected from circuit and still the #10 fuse would sometimes blow open it seemed at random and brake pedal up or down made no difference..

After replacing #10 fuse with a self-resetting 10 amp mini-fuse size circuit breaker (Littlefuse) to try to diagnose, only once since then (about a month so far) did I hear it click and saw a dropout of about 5 seconds, but no problem since...I don't care about abs and don't have cruise control in my van so it works fine for me...
Thank you for providing this great forum-

·
Registered
5 Posts
We’ve had communication issues for a year now that have prohibited us from getting an inspection sticker.... the car runs fine but simply refuses to communicate with the NYS inspection machines to pass inspection. Ford lent us a loaner for two weeks and at the end gave us back all our money because they just couldn’t fix it....new computer, new abs modules, new o2 sensors, new/used engine....no happs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts