Ford Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive had my 2002 ford f150 for a few months now, bought it off a friend and it was super clean and mechanically sound. Last night i was out on a drive and noticed when i slowed down towards the end that i was revving really high rpms to get up to 30 mph… naturally i thought it got knocked down into 2 (automatic) so i slowed to a stop and tried shifting it back into drive but it was in nuetral now so i put it back into drive and noticed when i tried to hit the gas the truck was BARELY moving forward and started smelling real bad which i assumed was trans fluid and smoke started piling out the back end. I pulled over and stopped because at that point i was barely rolling. I hopped out and sure enough it look like trans oil is pouring out, super smelly and the underside of the truck is all wet. I got it towed to my house and im just planning on selling it cuz im moving out of state soon but if someone could give me a better diagnosis? Or possibly let me know what it looks like from the pictures included? I advertised it as broken trans but if its just a missing plug and needs new fluid/new plug i could list it for more then $3000 because it is such a great truck. Btw its a 2002 Ford F-150 xlt super crew cab triton V8 with the 5.4L
White Light Automotive tire Grey Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Edit: went with pictures into ford dealership and guy said the cap wouldn't stop the leak and its probably coming from somewhere else so I’d have to get underneath it to see

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
You’ll have to chase the leak. That hole is to drain the torque converter. Is the fluid coming out of that hole? Could be the front pump and seal but that’s just a stab in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ll have to chase the leak. That hole is to drain the torque converter. Is the fluid coming out of that hole? Could be the front pump and seal but that’s just a stab in the dark.

Yes thank you for the response! :)
I originally thought it was coming from the hole but upon further inspection and the mechanic at ford backed up that it couldnt be coming from there, bought the plug anyways and gonna try to add trans fluid tomorrow and chase the leak! Ill definitely check out the front pump/seal as well thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Just to be clear, the hole pictured is to drain the torque converter, but it is NOT the torque converter drain, just the access hole to get to the drain plug. I agree with '85 CV regarding the source of the leak, but I would also check for a loose converter drain plug just in case. It's a long shot, and they don't often back out, but stranger things have happened. The drain plug can only be seen through that hole with the missing rubber plug, and only then when the engine and torque converter are "indexed" so that the plug lines up with the hole in the torque converter cover. Rotate the engine with the crankshaft dampener bolt until you see the plug. It is small and easy to miss.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Thank you for clarifying, sometimes I think I word things in a convoluted way lol. It’s an access hole to get to the drain plug. If the transmission isn’t toast I would get a new rubber plug for that hole so road debris stays out of there.

Reactions: Bajarider

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Now you have bought the plug , may as well fit but there are many , many driving around without it .If you cant see any obvious or a simple fix , might be best as you suggest and sell as is without getting in to deep and all the hassle .

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Thank you for clarifying, sometimes I think I word things in a convoluted way lol. It’s an access hole to get to the drain plug. If the transmission isn’t toast I would get a new rubber plug for that hole so road debris stays out of there.

I knew that's what you meant, and I too have trouble connecting my brain with the keyboard. Often!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ive had my 2002 ford f150 for a few months now, bought it off a friend and it was super clean and mechanically sound. Last night i was out on a drive and noticed when i slowed down towards the end that i was revving really high rpms to get up to 30 mph… naturally i thought it got knocked down into 2 (automatic) so i slowed to a stop and tried shifting it back into drive but it was in nuetral now so i put it back into drive and noticed when i tried to hit the gas the truck was BARELY moving forward and started smelling real bad which i assumed was trans fluid and smoke started piling out the back end. I pulled over and stopped because at that point i was barely rolling. I hopped out and sure enough it look like trans oil is pouring out, super smelly and the underside of the truck is all wet. I got it towed to my house and im just planning on selling it cuz im moving out of state soon but if someone could give me a better diagnosis? Or possibly let me know what it looks like from the pictures included? I advertised it as broken trans but if its just a missing plug and needs new fluid/new plug i could list it for more then $3000 because it is such a great truck. Btw its a 2002 Ford F-150 xlt super crew cab triton V8 with the 5.4L View attachment 54077
View attachment 54076
View attachment 54078
Edit: went with pictures into ford dealership and guy said the cap wouldn't stop the leak and its probably coming from somewhere else so I’d have to get underneath it to see
ok added trans fluid today, wasnt leaking out until i tried to drive it again and moved a couple inches at high RPMs with a little pressure on the pedal and it leaked out a good amount for me to find where its coming from. Looks like a really old gasket got shredded and im not sure what you call that part but its looking a bit bent out of shape and the gasket managed to wedge its way through the crack.
Shoe Helmet Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Tread

Automotive lighting Camera lens Automotive tire Jacket Grey

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
That looks and acts like the main seal. The trans needs to be pulled to replace that seal. Depending on mileage, and considering the labor involved, the trans should probably just be replaced with a rebuilt unit. My son is stationed at Luke AFB. He just bought a house in Glendale and is up to his ears in work, but he might be interested. I'll check and get back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks and acts like the main seal. The trans needs to be pulled to replace that seal. Depending on mileage, and considering the labor involved, the trans should probably just be replaced with a rebuilt unit. My son is stationed at Luke AFB. He just bought a house in Glendale and is up to his ears in work, but he might be interested. I'll check and get back.
That would be awesome! Would he want to buy it or fix it for me? I dont have money or time for it to be fixed so a quick buy is ideal! Thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
He doesn't have the time to fix it either, but might be interested in buying for the right price, then fixing it later when he's done with his house. He's only 21 and full of energy, so it depends on how many miles are on the truck and what condition the rest of the vehicle is in. PM and fill me in on mileage and price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had my 2002 ford f150 for a few months now, bought it off a friend and it was super clean and mechanically sound. Last night i was out on a drive and noticed when i slowed down towards the end that i was revving really high rpms to get up to 30 mph… naturally i thought it got knocked down into 2 (automatic) so i slowed to a stop and tried shifting it back into drive but it was in nuetral now so i put it back into drive and noticed when i tried to hit the gas the truck was BARELY moving forward and started smelling real bad which i assumed was trans fluid and smoke started piling out the back end. I pulled over and stopped because at that point i was barely rolling. I hopped out and sure enough it look like trans oil is pouring out, super smelly and the underside of the truck is all wet. I got it towed to my house and im just planning on selling it cuz im moving out of state soon but if someone could give me a better diagnosis? Or possibly let me know what it looks like from the pictures included? I advertised it as broken trans but if its just a missing plug and needs new fluid/new plug i could list it for more then $3000 because it is such a great truck. Btw its a 2002 Ford F-150 xlt super crew cab triton V8 with the 5.4L View attachment 54077
View attachment 54076
View attachment 54078
It looks like the dip stick has come loose from it's plug, bolt may have been removed that holds it in place, it looks like it is coming from the top in that area :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts