Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Just to be clear, the hole pictured is to drain the torque converter, but it is NOT the torque converter drain, just the access hole to get to the drain plug. I agree with '85 CV regarding the source of the leak, but I would also check for a loose converter drain plug just in case. It's a long shot, and they don't often back out, but stranger things have happened. The drain plug can only be seen through that hole with the missing rubber plug, and only then when the engine and torque converter are "indexed" so that the plug lines up with the hole in the torque converter cover. Rotate the engine with the crankshaft dampener bolt until you see the plug. It is small and easy to miss.

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Thank you for clarifying, sometimes I think I word things in a convoluted way lol. It’s an access hole to get to the drain plug. If the transmission isn’t toast I would get a new rubber plug for that hole so road debris stays out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I knew that's what you meant, and I too have trouble connecting my brain with the keyboard. Often!

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
That looks and acts like the main seal. The trans needs to be pulled to replace that seal. Depending on mileage, and considering the labor involved, the trans should probably just be replaced with a rebuilt unit. My son is stationed at Luke AFB. He just bought a house in Glendale and is up to his ears in work, but he might be interested. I'll check and get back.

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
He doesn't have the time to fix it either, but might be interested in buying for the right price, then fixing it later when he's done with his house. He's only 21 and full of energy, so it depends on how many miles are on the truck and what condition the rest of the vehicle is in. PM and fill me in on mileage and price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts