Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a super clean 02 marquis with air suspension but want to go to coils. Also if anybody knows of a lowering kit please let me know. I can't really find any or info. I don't want it slammed I just want it a lil lower and level. Maybe 1 in front n 2 in the rear. Or if anybody know the best way about doing this. I would appreciate any information anybody has thank you.
Screenshot_20210329-182330.jpg
IMG_20210329_173909.jpg

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
147 Posts
Just bought a super clean 02 marquis with air suspension but want to go to coils. Also if anybody knows of a lowering kit please let me know. I can't really find any or info. I don't want it slammed I just want it a lil lower and level. Maybe 1 in front n 2 in the rear. Or if anybody know the best way about doing this. I would appreciate any information anybody has thank you. View attachment 53164 View attachment 53165 View attachment 53166 View attachment 53164 View attachment 53165
That is a really clean car. The air suspension make these cars handle really well. They put it on all the cars with the handling package. If the air suspension is still working ok you may be able to adjust the ride height of the rear, there has to be a sensor somewhere that senses the height of the car so that it knows when to pump more air in, in case it it loaded down with luggage etc. I bet it can be adjusted. I know I adjusted the suspension years ago to a lincoln continental I had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. And am I supposed to here the air compressor every once in a while? Is that normal

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
147 Posts
Thank you. And am I supposed to here the air compressor every once in a while? Is that normal
Once in a while is normal. If has to kick on on a regular basis you may have a leak. You might turn the system off , there is a switch in the trunk, and see if it stays up for a few days. It the car sags in the back the next day after you turn off the system then it has a leak.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Once in a while is normal. If has to kick on on a regular basis you may have a leak. You might turn the system off , there is a switch in the trunk, and see if it stays up for a few days. It the car sags in the back the next day after you turn off the system then it has a leak.
You may already know this, but always turn the air suspension off before you jack up the car otherwise the computer thinks the car is sitting way to high and lets the air out of the air springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not know this. First time buying any Ford, Lincoln, Mercury vehicle and air suspension. Thank you for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
1,687 Posts
There IS an adjustable ride height sensor just above the rear axle (10 mm bolts as I recall). Of course, DO NOT adjust it without jackstands under the car. It takes a little trial and error to get the rear at the proper ride height, but is worth the effort. A ride height adjusted too high will cause poor handling, making the car a "tail wiggler". And don't forget AM's advice regarding the air suspension shut off switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for your knowledge! If you have any pointers or just things to know about these cars it would be helpful. Not goin crazy with it but goin to tint the windows, put dual exhaust, some wheels, and stereo system with alarm/remote start. I'll post pics when start putting money into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts