Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Falcon takes wing in 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Falcon is more the goose that lays the golden egg for Ford in down-under markets, although the sales performance of the AU-generation has been totally eclipsed by arch-rival Commodore in its home of origin. However 2003 will herald a strong fight back from Falcon, with the launch of a new generation of the value-leading Aussie Ford. In the third of our series on future products using the art of freelance Auckland car designer Fred Otene, we look at how the future Ford is shaping up:

Engines:
The bonnet scoop in Fred's impression of a black XR Falcon means one thing - forced induction. In our December issue, we reported that Ford Australia was considering several blown engines for its sports sedans, including turbocharged versions of the venerable 4.0 litre in-line six, and a supercharged version of the 4.6 litre quad-cam V8 now making its New Zealand debut in the normally aspirated Mustang (see below). A supercharger would allow the 240 kW Mustang motor to easily equal the 300 kW produced by Callaway-tuned versions of HSV's 5.7 litre V8. Meanwhile the peak power the V8 produces without the blower would allow Falcon to easily eclipse Holden's current V8 quota of 225 kW. Ford won't yet confirm whether it will use the Mustang's 4.6, but it seems a fait accompli to us, unlike the continuation of the 4.0 litre in-line six as motivation for bread-and-butter Falcons. For Falcon is ripe for a normally aspirated all-alloy V6, and the 150 kW 3.0 litre Duratec version of the recently released Escape and Mazda Tribute appears the ideal candidate, especially with a bit of a hike in cubic capacity to fulfil Big Aussie Six traditions.

Design:
Falcon's shape has traditionally been influenced by Ford's stateside products. Hence Fred's artistic speculation that the 2003 version will inherit the unequal-height wheel arches of the retro '49 sedan concept Ford unveiled at this year's Detroit Motor Show. Frontal styling comes from another concept, this time from an Australian drawing board - the R5 double cab ute concept that created such as stir at the Sydney Motor Show. Interior design may also come from the R5, with Falcon inheriting quality interior components developed for the Mondeo and X-Type Jaguar.

Chassis:
Expect more alloy suspension components, possibly sourced from Ford NZ's highly successful alloy wheel plant, to lighten an independent rear suspension system that's a little overweight in up-market models. The live axle Watts-linkage rear end of base models will probably carry over to keep the price of fleet cars down. With a possible move to all-alloy engines, and increased use of components such as the AU-II's Kiwi-made under-engine cross member, we're predicting weight savings for the 2003 Falcon that will embarrass Holden.

Electronics:
There will be more sophisticated engine and transmission management software, and Ford will probably introduce a similar integrated communications system to the Telematics system optional on VX Commodores. As for safety, we'd expect a little more Volvo influence on the Falcon, with at least the addition of side airbags to mid-priced models, and inflatable head protection systems on the Falcon flagships.

New

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Check the light in the scanner does it work?
if yes then it is a software or sensor problem....
Get me those pics....

·
Administrator
4,980 Posts
I like the sound of the turbo 6.I think you guys know my feelings on the small V8. I still think 5.8 has a nice ring to it ,and history to it.All alloy ,quad cam and 32 valves as well ahhhhhhhhh just dreamin again.:D :D

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
IT BROKE MY MONITOR, i'm typing this onto a cracked screen..........
:eek: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :eek:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
:( :mad: :confused: :(

Hmm, nope that ain't no good. Where the hell did those bloody VN/VP squared rear wheel arches come from? I'm almost physically sick at the sight of them. I want to know who thought they would be a good thing, I'd like to politely point out a few things to them with something rather hard and blunt. Who's been smoking what, and for how long?

Even the grille on the top one looks like a bloody VN/VP Caprice a bit.. it all looks WRONG!!! WRONG!!!!

That front spoiler aint right either, fully square?

Nah, I think these sketches aren't going to be anything like the real deal. Certainly going on the whole AU experience, Ford has learned the value of public opinion on styling, and in the case of these pics, public opinion would relegate them to the bin. However, the artist is pretty good by the look of it, I'd like to see him do something a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Mike

·
gone
10,402 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Can we get a warning placed on those images?????

Oh By the way, hasn't ford got a new designer form Jag!

Oh god, I Hope so and please Mister get rid of that friggen egg console!!!!!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Arrrhhhh!!!! Whats with the rear wheel arches?????????????????????

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
I think who ever made those pics up has it all wrong. Theve crossed the current Falcon with parts of the millard Coupe and squared off the back which is a cert to happen as thats the biggest complaint of the current car. Ford has said something along the lines of only the roofline will be the same {and doors?} which in this case is very far from that. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
The Stylist
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing